~34~

"So you mean to tell me this isn't some normal thing that happens to vampires?" Leah groaned, "just when we needed more trouble on our plate!" She could believe her ears, though she could believe what was happening right in her face.

Carlisle and Esme were both cuddled up together on the couch in Billy Blacks house. They held each other like they were going to die, and in a way they would if they'd stayed away from each other a little longer than before.

"Thank you so much for finding her! She went missing after she talked about meeting a client about redecorating a room." Alice frowned, she still wondered who she went to meet, and what happened to turn her into a bag of bones and flesh.

"She was really touchy with Aurora though." Sam grimace, "Charlie Swan most definitely is going to start looking for that mysterious woman." He could only think about how he was going to have to pause on the territory patrolling in fear that Charlie would see them and refocus his attention onto them.

"It doesn't help that I can't see his future." Alice could only sign, "and I can no longer see Esme's either." She felt like crying, everything was falling apart, and she could do nothing about it, but watch.

"You don't need to see their future in order to see death." Seth hid a whimper, he was feeling scared, first that old woman in the woods that gave Sam a beating and now the vampires were starting to fall apart, and no amount of side hugs Leah could give him right now would help sate his emotions.

"They do look dead." Paul rolled his eyes, "deader than usual I mean." He didn't want to admit, but the only person he'd liked was Esme and Carlisle, the woman was hard not to like, and he had mad respect for Carlisle after he treated his injuries before he shifted.

"Of course they do," Billy frowned, "their suffering from something internally." He didn't know what this was, he's never seen it, never heard about it, didn't think he'll ever see or hear about it, but here it was right in front of him.

"The only people I know that look so sick, is usually when an imprint gets sick so their imprintee gets sick also." He motioned to Sam, "it's like you take a part of their pain away to make it easier on them, but I think Carlisle might've bitten more off than he could chew." He felt pained saying that he respected the man, and everything just felt wrong.

"And they're sleeping." Jasper focused on their emotions, it was calm at the moment, like they were at rest, and it almost made his heart start beating.

"Really?" Rosalie gasped, "are they really asleep?" She didn't know what that meant.

"Maybe we should call out for some external help." Emmett hugged Rosalie, "the only people that might know what's happening with Esme and Carlisle is the Volturi. They've lived longer than all of us and could've possibly seen this before." He would have to make plans, they wouldn't like having to come back here, but it was unavoidable since Esme and Carlisle were in no shape to travel.

"You do that, and make sure they don't hunt humans while they're here." Sam glared, he didn't like the thought of more vampires close by, but tough times call for tough measures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Nicholai," Charlie arrived, his hands filled with bags of clothes for Aurora, "I'm sure Miranda told you I was coming." He was still nervous around anybody he saw in this house, but he was glad when Nicholai smiled at him.

"I saw you coming a mile away," He grinned, "I'll help bring Aurora in."

The girl would be staying for the week that Charlie would be searching for the mystery woman. He now knows that he'll never find her, already knows that Miranda would tell him who exactly had scared Aurora so badly, but for now he'll keep up the appearance of a determined dad and sheriff.

"You trust me enough to let her stay a week?" Nicholai wanted to laugh, the man had been against the entire thing when he first told them, but he was suddenly accepting of the situation.

"You're her husband aren't you? I trust you'll do the right thing." He didn't elaborate, but the look he held on his face was enough to say that he shouldn't do anything rash.

"Of course, of course." He held his smile, "I'm a man of my word, I won't let anything happen to our precious baby while you're gone." He had his hand wrapped tightly around Charlie's in a strong grip, they both had different looks on their faces, but they both held the same amount of understanding for each other.

"Be sure to visit though, I'm sure Aurora will miss her Daddy." He teased, almost whispering the words to Charlie.

"Just keep an eye on her!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One last chapter left then it's over for the second book and on to the third one!

I didn't do the long chapter becuase I had more trouble with it than I thought I would, but breaking it up into four extra chapters really did help get my thoughts out.