Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

Chapter Seventeen

Cameron

After Izzy's outburst at Maya's salon last week I told Maddie that I could watch her on the days she works there. It's only three days, and I've got everything Izzy could possibly need here now. I'm finally prepared to take her for a day by myself.

I'm busy cleaning up the apartment, double-checking every possible surface of the floor to make sure there's nothing Izzy could put in her mouth. I even made sure to put child locks on all of the cabinets, and I put outlet protectors on every single outlet in sight.

Maybe I'm being too cautious, but I don't think that's a thing when it comes to a baby. You should always be cautious about their safety, right?

My phone starts to buzz on the counter, so I quickly answer it, assuming it's Maddie. She's supposed to drop Izzy off at any minute.

"Hey. Are you almost here?"

"Uh..." A male voice chuckles, so I pull the phone away from my ear and see that it's my agent Thomas that has called me, not Maddie. "Not sure who you were expecting, but it's your agent. Did you forget me already?"

"Oh, shit. Sorry," I mutter quickly. "What's up?"

"Well... I actually have great news. I was contacted by GQ. They want you to be on the cover of next month's issue."

"They do?"

"Yep. I've got all of the arrangements set up for this weekend. Your flight leaves at noon on Friday."

Fuck.

This weekend?

"Can I get back to you on that?" I ask.

There's silence for a few seconds, and I hold my breath as I wait for his response. "In all honesty Cameron, what is there to think about? It's a multi-million dollar cover here. You're one of the youngest bachelors to be featured. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

I'm not a bachelor. I've never thought I was a bachelor. Mainly because my heart has always belonged to one person.

So that's why I decide to just blurt it out.

"I have a kid, Thomas. I just found out right before the season ended."

More silence.

Nothing but silence.

"Are you still there?" I clear my throat from the awkwardness. "Did you hear me?"

"I did. Sorry. I just..." He sighs. "Did you contact your publicist about this yet? Before any stories start?"

"Stories? What possible stories could come about from this?"

"Cameron." He sighs again, and I can picture him putting his fingers on the bridge of his nose. "I get that you're new at this, alright? But once the media finds out about who this woman is they'll come up with all kinds of things. Using you for money, fame... You name it."

"They have nothing to come up with. She's been in my life since I was a kid."

"But the world doesn't know that. You have to be smart about this, Cameron. Just promise me that you'll get in touch with your publicist as soon as possible so that you can release this information yourself before it gets twisted."

"Okay, okay." I laugh. "Will it make you less mad at me if I agree to the photo shoot so that you can get your cut?"

"Cameron, that's not what this is about."

"Will it make you less mad?" I repeat.

Finally, after about another ten seconds of silence, he laughs and says, "Slightly, yeah."