four

TW: scenes of violence/blood

I took way longer than necessary in the downstairs bathroom, my head in my hands as I sat on the toilet's lid. I had relieved myself over two minutes ago, but couldn't find the energy to get up and put on the fake smile everyone seemed to admire.

Standing from my perch, I made my way over to the sink to wash my hands. Running the soap over my fingers, I studied my reflection to check for any imperfections. Since I had sat with my head in my hands, I had rubbed off some of the make-up on my face. I had no make-up down here, so exited the room to go in search of some.

I just made it to the first step when a sudden scream met my ears. I tensed, halting my movements, when more panic broke out.

What was going on?

A vast pit of dread filled my stomach, and I hurried to the door. Creaking it open, I only glimpsed some fire before Darius was in front of me, pushing me inside. He was breathing heavy; the smell of his breath caused my nose to wrinkle, but it was the fear in his eyes that had me clinging onto his arms.

"What is it? What's going on? I heard screaming..." I rushed.

His brown eyes snapped down to me, wide and fearful. "They're here. They found us. We need to leave."

"Who is here? Who found us?" I repeated, shaking my head.

He grumbled at me, pushing my arms away to hurry to his bedroom. I followed him, my confusion only growing when he pulled things from his safe and into a bag.

"We need to leave." He snapped, taking my arm to pull me back downstairs and to the back door.

"Darius... Darius please, I'm scared." I whimpered.

He didn't stop, his grip on my wrist burning. He scanned the back garden before dragging me to the apple tree. Pushing me into its trunk, his glaring eyes stared down at me.

"Darius..." I whispered.

"Ailia, stay here. Hide. I'm going to go next door to Mum and Dad's and open the panic room." He explained.

"Why?"

He had run away before I got an answer. The rush of blood through my ears was enough to make my stomach roll. I was glad our house had tall fences blocking any entrance from where the screaming came from.

I was confused, but going by the sounds of terror, I knew better and kept quiet. Whatever it was, would probably find me in a heartbeat if I made enough noise. My breaths were quick and heavy as I waited for Darius to return, but as the time went on, dread filled my stomach.

I cast a long look at the house one more time before making my way to the gate he had disappeared behind. Pushing it open quietly, I jumped as a woman went running down the street in the distance.

"Darius?" I whispered.

No reply. Where had he gone?

I swallowed nervously, pushing my back against the side of the house. I slowly slithered my way down the side of the building to the corner, keeping my feet light across the stones. The smell of burning met my nose. The fire's warmth had grown since I was last outside. But a deep rumble came from nearby and I tensed when a flash of darkness ran by the house.

I followed the blur, mesmerised by the speed of whatever it was. My fear only grew when it stopped by a older woman who was trying to sneak around a tree. A large brown wolf stood on four long legs peered down at her. I gasped at its sheer size, causing its ears to twitch. The woman cowered, crying out for help as the beast crept closer, its nose twitching to scent her. He growled, huffing in her face before turning to run away, and she collapsed in relief.