Mirabel: Awesome

THIS IS FOR Y'ALL MIRABEL SIMPS BECAUSE ILY

"Hear me out!" you announced one day, pressing both of your hands together in front of your mouth. "I'm going to tell Mirabel how I feel about her."

"Right," your friend snorted, putting a hand on their hip. "That's definitely going to happen."

"It will!" you huffed. "I'm going to tell her—today, in fact!"

They raised their eyebrows. "Are you sure? You can't even talk to her without getting at least a little flustered. How will you tell her you love her?"

"I don't know," you sighed in exasperation. "But I'm going to try."

They pat your shoulder. "I'll be rooting for you—but I'm going to laugh if she rejects you."

You pushed their hand away with an unamused glare. "Oh, shut it."

They giggled maliciously in response.

-

"Hey, Mirabel," you said, pacing back and forth in your room. "I have something to tell you, and I want you to know there's no pressure. Whatever you say, I'll be totally fine with it." You took a deep breath and turned. "I'm in love with you. I've been in love with you since we were children, and I want nothing more than to be with you." You scratched the back of your head, tapping one foot against the ground. "I think you're funny, smart, talented and beautiful. So...yeah."

You exhaled, finishing your practiced speech, and frowned in your mirror. "Who am I kidding? That sounds so needy!" you groaned, putting your face in your hands.

You'd invited Mirabel over so you could confess to her, and you'd never been more nervous. How would you even begin? Would you have her sit down? Would you hold her hand as you said what you said? Absolutely not—no way you could do that.

As you continued to stand there, grimacing nervously, there was a knock on the door, and you squeaked, jumping a foot in the air. "Uh—come in!" you called, clutching your racing heart.

Mirabel cracked the door open, giving you a small smile as she entered. "Hey, Y/n. How's it going?"

"Fine, fine!" you said breathlessly, leaning against the wall in an attempt to look suave. Unfortunately, you missed the wall.

Mirabel chuckled at your ineptness, leaning down to hoist you up by the forearms. "That was smooth."

"I know, right?" you said, and she let go of your arms, folding her own across her chest with a cheeky grin.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Oh," you said, scratching the back of your neck. "Nothing much, really." She continued to smirk a little, tilting her head at you, awaiting more from you. You grimaced and put your hand down. "Okay, well...

She held up her hands. "Actually, I have something I should probably say before you."

You blinked twice. "Really?"

She nodded earnestly. "Yes." As she met your eyes, face abruptly flushed, and she glanced away. "It's kind of important to me."

You waved for her to proceed. "Of course."

"Um..." she bit her lip and looked you in the eyes again. "I'm pretty sure I have feelings for you, Y/n. Like, 'love' feelings."

You froze, your lips parting slightly in shock. She apparently didn't like the look on your face because she hastened to say, "If you don't see me that way, it's fine! You're free to do whatever you want with this information!" She mimed crushing something with her hands, her face growing redder and redder by the second.

"Take the information, crumple it up, and throw it away if you want to!" She hugged her sides, looking like she deeply regretted her decision.

"Heck, maybe shove the information back in my face and say you don't want to be my friend anymore! I wouldn't blame you—I never should have said what I said, I'm so sorry for springing this on you—"

She cut herself off as you reached out and took her hand, looking at her bashfully. "...and um," she tried to continue, her whole face glowing cherry red. "You don't even have to respond if you don't want to. I—uh, what was it you wanted to tell me again?" she gulped, looking more flustered by the minute.

You lifted her hand and folded it in between both of yours like a sandwich, still gently smiling at her. "I really, really like you, Mirabel."

If her eyes could pop even further, they did. "What? You—you do? Are you sure?"

You nodded once. "Pretty sure, considering I have since we were kids."

"Oh." She blinked, looking shocked, and you glanced down at your intertwined hands. She did, too, and half of her mouth quirked upward. "Would it be weird if I kissed you right now?"

Trying your best not to blush furiously—and probably failing—you said in a slightly wavering voice: "I don't see any problem with that."

She hesitated for a second, but seemed to gather her determination even quicker. She leaned forward, gave you a swift peck on the lips, and moved back before you had time to process what happened.

You slowly nodded, pressing your lips together. "Well, then. That was new."

"I'd say so," she replied in a measured tone.

A small, awkward pause passed between you, but Mirabel's gaze flickered towards your mouth again. That was all the confirmation you needed in order to say, "Again?"

This time she didn't falter, cupping your face in her hands and pulling you in, pressing her lips against yours.

Your hands found their way into her hair, which was wonderfully soft and curly. Her hands remained around your face, but her thumbs brushed your cheeks gently.

When you broke the kiss, she blinked several times. Her freckles were even more noticeable now—a beautiful constellation against her skin. "So," she said. "What were you doing before I came in here?"

"Trying to figure out how to confess to you," you admitted. "What were you doing on the way over here?"

"Same," she said with a nod. "I was mostly rehearsing what I was going to say."

"So was I!" you said gleefully.

"Gah, Y/n, you're the best," she said, wrapping her arms around your neck and giving you a tight hug. "Don't ever change."

You hugged her back, squeezing her like you'd never see her again. "Eres asombrosa."