☔︎︎Chapter 28: Twenty-One ☔︎︎

I utterly despise birthdays

That is the truth, many may not agree but regardless it is my truth. Growing up my parents were never keen on birthdays, they didn't understand why one needed to celebrate the day they came into this world. I'd love to say that I was disappointed, or that I longed for their attention and affection on one single day of the year-

I cannot say that because I longed for it always.

I was going to be twenty one the second the clock struck midnight, I was not excited nor was I even remotely looking forward to it. Age meant nothing to me because my life has been split into two.

Before and after her.

Before she came into my life and changed everything. She gave my life far more meaning than it ever had. With her big brown eyes and youthful grin, she looked at me like I was everything to her, and I held her in my arms like water to a desert man fearing that someday she'd spillover.

I remember promising she'd never slip from my grasp, what a beautiful little lie.

I was playing chess with Rune on the floor of our bedroom, we hadn't yet started packing for this supposed trip that I was being dragged along on. Despite how many times I expressed how much I wasn't in the mood to celebrate my friends decided to go against my wishes and plan this entire charade.

I was currently winning, as I always did, but I could tell there was something on his mind, because out of everyone in Marx House Rune was the only one who sometimes made a worthy opponent.

"What is it?" I ask him curiously but he just shrugs nonchalantly, "if you don't talk to me about it, who are you going to talk to?"

"You're a bastard." He laughs shaking his head.

He has no idea just how right he really is.

"Indeed." I affirm, knocking over his queen, "now tell."

"I fear that my beloved is making a fool out of me." He sighs deeply, "what if she doesn't...take a liking to me?"