Chapter 66: Huang Estate

Media: https://pin.it/1NDV6dp

Going back a day's time when Qiaoli's travels were about to end.

"Wumin is insufferable, isn't she?" Ying tried to cheer up the young miss again.

And as always, Qiaoli barely registered what he meant. After a full night's rest, their party traveled without stop for three days.

The retinue was led by Wumin as the brothers were reluctant to instruct her people even though they were the ones with the higher rank.

Their company had to pass through a Huang villa in one of the remote villages of the South to complete the story that the young miss stayed in that villa up until now.

All this while, Ying noticed that Wumin didn't like their young miss much. She wouldn't care about the cot the young miss slept on or what food she ate. Wumin would give what her soldiers had.

He tried correcting this a few times but the young miss herself would stop him and wouldn't complain. He was peeved that Wumin was acting like a horrible mother-in-law.

"Instead, tell me about this Silver Spear unit. Are they unique in their ways or is every soldier of my family rude like that miss?" Huang Qiaoli opened while they were in the last stretch of their travel.

Lu who was nearest her was the one who answered. "They are an independent squad formed by the Master to do his biddings. All of them are not Huangs."

Qiaoli's eyes flashed upon hearing this and she laughed. "I see, so they have the guts to mistreat me."

The youngest Lu stiffened. "Young miss isn't offended by this treatment?"

She just shook her head. "You two look livid already. Why should I be offended? I don't expect anyone to worship me. I'm an unknown factor in my brother's standing. Starting from now, I'm just a girl from the countryside who is being reintroduced back to society. I'm sure there will be plenty more of these mistreatments."

As a person who lived multiple lives, she could more or less guess how people would react to her presence. This Wumin was just the beginning. There would be more once she arrived at her brother's estate. She should not be offended every single time.

Besides, they can do nothing except some petty things. Wumin looked like a seasoned soldier but she and her squad still seemed wary of Lu and Ying and the brothers looked confident. There was nothing to be afraid of.

Another thing she hasn't mentioned was the fact that she was already thinking how to snitch to her brother. No matter what reason Wumin had for giving her the roughest blankets and the smallest portion of food, the Duke would probably sanction her for a long time once he knew.

Fighting back now is unwise.

Alas, they finally arrived at the estate before nightfall.

She was entering through the backdoor like she was a thief of the night and not a dignified miss.

She looked behind her and noticed Wumin and her company stopped for some distance. The battle-worn woman bowed while still on her ride, indicating that she would go no further.

Qiaoli whose clothes were torn and dirty here and there due to the rough travel beamed at Wumin which caught the woman off-guard.

"Let's see each other again." She turned her back and waved goodbye.

---

3 days later...

The Duchess gave up trying to figure out who was the lady inside the study.

The girl seemed to be adamant not to meet anyone and Rouli couldn't barge inside.

She had been receiving mockery these past 3 days from consorts too. She was just lucky this incident hadn't gotten out of the estate yet.

If it did, the Duchess would be the talk of the whole South.

Thanks to the Duke's forces hushing the news of another lady entering the house, Rouli was safe for now. But this only made her think that her husband was trying to protect the girl from rumors.

Rouli wouldn't deny that she was about to go crazy from the jealousy she was feeling.

In their four years of marriage, Huang Li Yun was neither hot nor cold. He didn't show tenderness nor anger. And yet this girl received attention from him even when he wasn't here.

She was dying to know the identity of this girl.

"Good afternoon, Duchess~" Rouli heard a sweet voice not far from her.

Down the path was Consort Wei, a distant niece of the Emperor. Following her were three more lower consorts, each having good backgrounds.

Rouli plastered a smile. In this estate, she was alone. Who would want to support an unloved Duchess?

But who cares, she had all the power here. All they could do was talk.

She only nodded and went on with her afternoon walk. They still had to make way for her.

"Say, sister. Have you heard? The lady in the study finally revealed herself." Consort Wei threw the bait.

Rouli's eyes widened and she turned around. The Consort faked a gasp.

"Looking at your reaction. Does this mean she didn't even pay respects to you? The nerve! This new sister should be punished." She smiled, alluring and deliberate.

"Rou jiejie has all the power to punish her. You know, before the master arrives."

Huang Rouli's blood boiled upon hearing this. But ever since entering this estate, she never lashed out even once.

"Consort Wei is right. I have all the power to give out punishments." She smiled and started walking again.

Seeing her like that, the consort stomped her little feet. "No backbone at all! This is why the Duke cannot be proud of his Duchess!"

Rouli didn't answer. Choosing to gloss over this small spat as something ordinary but an unfamiliar voice interrupted them.

"Unmannered, no etiquette, foolish and ugly. These are the women of my Huang estate?"

The ladies and their servants all turned to the reaction.

A woman was standing with her back against the sun. But Rouli was shocked to her core, seeing her silhouette.

'Mother?!' It was as if the late Duchess was in front of her again.

---

A/N: I really want to update more frequently but I got exams coming soon. Maybe when it's done, I can relax again.