Chapter 37

Aerilyn spent most of her day in her room, Eli came in to see how she was doing and invited her for dinner. He stood against the door frame "you'll see Lyn, it's not so bad here, I think you'll be assigned to foraging, I did tell them you were great with plants, there is a group that goes out everyday" he tried to really sell it to her, he thought that he was doing his best but he had lost his way in doing so.

He had spent too long at the camp isolated away to realise what was going on.

Aerilyn followed behind him to dinner, still feeling uncomfortable and out of place.

They walked into the room where dinner was served, again it was beans and rice just like what she had in the afternoon, what a surprise. Aerilyn barely ate it, she just moved it around her plate.

People were talking this time which was nice for her to see but they were still hushed murmurs and she couldn't shake the feeling that she was not suppose to be here. "what are the rules here?" Aerilyn found herself asking, she had observed enough to realise there were rules and they were strict by the looks of it.

Eli stopped for a second but carried on eating "to do what is asked of us, to help out, not fraternize with the enemy or leave camp without permission" so far it had seemed pretty strict and these rules only confirmed that.

"ohh" Aerilyn mumbled. "what happens if you don't follow them?" she asked another question.

Eli looked at her funnily then shook his head "you don't need to worry about that" he replied. Something about Eli was different and she could not put her finger on it. Another person walked through the doors and the place went very quiet, she turned around to see who it was.

It was her aunt.

Aerilyn began to wonder if Evelyn had actually run away not voluntarily left, after all it required permission to leave, she also wondered if Saryn was enforcing these rules religiously as well, he had never been like that before.

They finished eating or so Eli did as Aerilyn had barely ate anything, she went to put their food over in the bins when her Aunt approached them, eyeing up Aerilyn's uneaten dinner. "is the food here not up to the standards of the food in the leech's palace?" it was more of a rhetorical question than anything.

Aerilyn stared back at her aunt, she hadn't said it in a very nice manner and so Aerilyn decided to just let it go, there was no point getting into it, she was mentally and physically exhausted and unsure how much more she could take."we have to be back in our rooms for lights out at 9" He spoke quietly.

Aerilyn ignored her Aunt and followed Eli out, "Why so early?" she asked but he just shrugged his shoulders.

Aerilyn decided to get some fresh air and take a walk after he had gone to bed, she was tired but still alert.

"psst" she heard from another cabin, she walked over carefully to have a look, not wanting to be seen. Someone grabbed her and pulled her inside quickly as she tried not to yelp.

A sigh of relief escaped her, it was Saryn.

Saryn knew Aerilyn was struggling, "Sorry about that" he rubbed his forehead.

The human girl had an outburst, "what's happened to my brother?" she demanded to know.

"what do you mean?" Saryn played dumb, he wanted to see what she knew or how observant she was.

"he's not the brother I once knew, hes changed" Saryn nodded his head because he agreed and knew what had happened.

Saryn looked around paranoid as if someone was listening, before whispering, "She's got him wrapped around her fingers, just be careful here, things are not what they seem okay, you better go back before anyone notices" he ushers her out the door.