Chapter 42 | Tearful Truths

I had spent two days in my bed, being bombarded with gifts from my friends and family, including my father who insisted on visiting every few hours to ensure I was recovering well.

Dylan had hardly slept, and I didn't blame him. The small hospital chair placed beside my bed didn't look the most comfortable, and his tall stature meant he barely fit on it even when just sitting down.

His under eyes had darkened significantly over the past two days, and I felt guilty knowing that I was the reason he wasn't getting any sleep, his body clearly suffering.

I gazed up at my mate, planting a quick kiss on his lips as I pushed open the door to Matthew's hospital room, gulping nervously, scared for what I was going to see.

"The doctor said he awoke last night, and is recovering well, but if it all gets too much for you, let me know and I'll come and get you," spoke Dylan, giving my hand one final squeeze before making his way down the corridor towards the waiting room.

Sighing heavily, I made my way into the room, gently shutting the door behind me, squinting at the brightness of the L.E.D lights above, one of them flickering eerily.

Pulling open the hospital curtain, I slowly revealed a smiling Matthew, his pearly white teeth flashing at me as he shot me a quick wink.

"There she is," he chuckled, popping a final grape into his mouth, setting his tray of food down beside him.

"Matthew, are you okay?" I muttered, perching next to him, nodding as he waved my worries away, rolling his eyes.

"Please, Gia, I'm fine. I'm a fighter."

I furrowed my brows, shaking my head, ignoring the name slip up, knowing his brain must still be a bit foggy. "The doctors said you were in a coma, and your MRI showed signs of brain damage."

"Yeah, well, I feel fine. I'm feeling a little slow, but other than that, I'm great."

"That's good to hear. Have you tried walking or anything?"

Matthew shook his head, leaning back against his pillow, closing his eyes, a sigh passing his lips. "Nope, but I'm kind of living the life; being waited on hand and foot. I could get used to this."

I laughed, slapping his arm, rolling my eyes. I could tell that there was an awkward vibe in the air, and I suspected it was because of how my friend had followed Alpha Paul's orders to attack my own mate.

"I hope Dylan isn't being too hard or anything," I said, smiling.

Matthew gazed at me, cocking his head, chewing on his bottom lip, his face looking puzzled. "Who's Dylan again?"

I gulped, clearing my throat, attempting to not let my shock show on my face, recovering quickly. "My mate. He's been training you for a while, remember?"

Matthew nodded, and I could practically see his brain cogs turning as he sifted through his thoughts, but coming up blank, his mouth set in a firm line. "I'm sorry Gia, I don't remember."

I swallowed harshly, shaking my head at my friend, my stomach dropping as he used the name 'Gia' yet again.

"Um, Matthew, I'm Clara. Gia is our friend with blonde hair."

My friend furrowed his brows, humming to himself. "Ah, I don't think I know a Clara."

Tears threatened to spill over my eyes at Matthew's remark, causing me to stand up, taking an involuntary step back. My hands shook, my heart practically beating out of my chest as I started to hyperventilate.

A sudden knock on the door startled me, and I spun around to see Dylan standing behind the glass door, looking at me worriedly.

"Just one second," I said to my friend, holding up a finger, quickly making my way out of the room towards my mate.