𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟑 - 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝-𝐫𝐞𝐝

╭────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──────╮

𝐃

There were two possible options for students returning to Hogwarts. Some of us were going back on Friday to settle before classes started on Monday, and some were returning on the last possible day, Sunday. In past years, I used all the time I could get away from Hogwarts. There was this sense of choices in the outside world that made Hogwarts seem boring in times like these. But I couldn't take a chance this time. If Ophelia was on the Friday train, I needed to see her, make sure she was okay.

The train started punctually as always, and I hadn't seen Ophelia boarding yet. I sat back and calmed myself down, saying that there was a chance she was in the private compartments. I couldn't wait even half an hour on my seat. I made some excuse and combed the train front to back. Everyone there already thought I was a freak anyway; a few more inquisitive looks wouldn't hurt anyone.

She was nowhere.

Hogwarts felt twice as empty, thrice as quiet. Her little nook in the Common Room was taken by some third years finishing their last-minute Christmas homework.

On Sunday, I waited all afternoon for Hogwarts Express to arrive and when the first students started appearing in the Entrance Hall. I folded my hands and waited.

My heart dropped on my stomach when I saw Ophelia. I felt the urge to run to her, or at least see her run to me. I wanted to throw my arms around her and let her sink familiarly, although I had never truly embraced her. I realised then that the fear I might not see her again wasn't an exaggerated one but a truthful one. The weight was lifted from my chest, and I felt like life was allowed to go on now.

She was mindlessly walking along with Weasley and Potter, and I was so glad to see her I didn't even give a moment of thought in familiar jealousy. She caught a glimpse of me from afar, and I was lost. Until now, I was only concerned with seeing her again and not with what would happen once I did.

I watched her, and the Gryffindor boys walk past me and enter the Great Hall for a bight after the long ride. She looked back at me, and I nodded towards the yard.

I trusted she would find an excuse to leave early. It wasn't yet dark outside but the cold was piercing. It had snowed throughout Christmas in Hogwarts. Everything was blindingly white and quiet, as if the snow was absorbing things untold.

I stood near our tree. I saw her approaching from afar; slowly at first, but as her features began to gain definition in the whiteness of it all, she became faster. She was running to me; as if she had read my thoughts and wishes and she wanted to grant me the pleasure of living this reunion precisely as I imagined them. My courage drove me towards her quickly to close the distance. The next thing I felt was her in my arms.

I closed my eyes content and listened to the sound of her breath near my ear.

"I was fucking worried!" I said but was now chuckling.

"I know... I had to go."

"What happened?"

She let me go after some long seconds of silence and then spoke.

"I think you know what happened."

There it was, in all its obviousness. We never had to say it but we always knew that we learned the same news – just from different people. I felt the stab of guilt that she didn't realise just how deep my sources lied.

"Where were you?"

"You know I can't tell you that. It's just that we weren't sure if we were safe at home."