35 - contract

I need you silent readers to pop out of the shadows so i have motivation to finish this book to enter it in the wattys but it needs to be complete first!

.....
Carters Pov

I kiss the top of Mila's head just to shut her up about winning. She's been rambling on and on about it the entire time we've been walking back from the flower field, and I've let her.

"You're never gonna let that go, are you?" I ask, refraining from rolling my eyes at her competitive side.

I guess I'm no worse, since I'm most likely the more competitive one. But we shall ignore that and let Mila have her moment.

"You're just easy to brag to. You've got a little slappable face, so it all makes sense." She counter argues, shrugging and looking up at me as we walk.

"I do not have a slappable face! That's just- you're rude. Mhm, you're being rude, Mila." I turn my nose up to the sky, pretending to ignore her.

She just laughs, poking me in the ribs. "It cancels out, since you also have a slappable ass. Ooo I bet you it'll look great in your graduation outfit at the weekend-"

"Emilia."

I genuinely almost jumped out of my skin when we returned to my car and Gabriel was leaning against it. He uncrosses his arms and slowly walks over.

"We need you two to come home. Everything is too fragile right now. Public image and all that." He ushers us into the back seat of his stupid limo, getting in right after the driver shuts the door.

"We have a funeral to attend." Gabriel says, more so to Emilia than me, flicking through his phone without even looking up.

Mila squeezes my hand once and looked out the window. "Did my mother send you? The public image thing, w-was that her?"

Gabriel looks up, Mila meets his eyes. That was all the answers she needed apparently, since they both broke eye contact a couple seconds later.

I squeezed her hand two more times, hoping to calm her just the smallest bit. After a couple hours on the road, Mila had fallen asleep on my shoulder while I rested my head on hers.

My dad frowned when he saw us, but not in the disapproving way, almost like he wished our fate wasn't...what it would be.

The whole marriage crap, the inevitable wedding where she would hate my guts and everything I've worked for would be tainted. We promised each other eternity, countless times, and I pray with every bone in my body that we make that come true.