Kids Today

Today is going to be a good day. Today is going to be a good day.

Jane kept chanting her mantra to herself as the 118 geared up at the sound of the bell. They were on the back half of their 24-hour shift and that night was going to be Buck's party. Jane was in charge of the cake, and she already had the layers chilling in Eddie's freezer and the filling setting in the refrigerator upstairs. She'd already stenciled out the designs she'd planned for the top and altogether, she was very excited to put it together after their shift ended. However, before all of that would happen, they had to get word about Buck's recertification physical and they needed to get through the last two hours of their shift, one call at a time.

Still, she was nervous for Buck, so she kept chanting to herself. It would be a good day for Buck. A good day for the crew. A good day for Christopher. A good day for her. 

Taking a deep breath, Jane jogged ahead to catch up with everyone who were already at the truck.

This call they were about to go on was to stop a fifteen-year-old driver from crashing a yellow convertible on the freeway. He was on the 710 and while the police were trying to shut down the highway, it wasn't looking good for either the kid or the other drivers on the road. Speed had reached over 100 miles per hour and rising, and the kid had called 911 reporting that he couldn't stop it. The situation had seemed desperate, but apparently the cops had a plan and it involved the 118.

"Kid's car is moving like a runaway freight train," Bobby said, coming around the back of the truck putting on his jacket, "but they got a plan to slow him down before he crashes."

"So, we're on cleanup duty?" Chimney asked, as they all worked to get their jackets on.

"Not exactly," Bobby retorted, before opening the door and climbing into the front passenger seat on the truck.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Chimney wondered, staring after the captain. They all gave him equally clueless shrugs as they followed after Bobby and climbed in the truck. Jane loaded herself in last.

"I think we'll find out soon," Jane responded to Chimney's question before she pulled the door shut behind them. She gave it two loud knocks to signal that everyone was in and Davis started driving. Then, and only then, did Bobby deliver the plan.

"Wait a minute, let's just recap so I understand," Chimney interrupted his lecture. "They want that kid to crash into the back of our firetruck while we are going at a high speed and then they want us to slow down to hopefully bring him to a stop. Did I understand that right?"

"Yes," Jane told her friend, giving him a wry smirk. "Having trouble with your hearing, Chim?"

"I'm having trouble with my brain right now," Chim responded. "We've done some crazy things but this sounds fairly...out there."

"But it could work," Jane told him thoughtfully. "It is out of the box though. Bobby, where are they at now?" She called up to their captain.

"They're clearing a stretch of Woodly Avenue," Bobby retorted. "We'll meet them there."

"How fast is he going?" Hen asked, wanting specifics now that they understood the mechanics.

"105," Bobby's voice was a bit grim. "Once he gets to Woodley Avenue, he'll hit the brakes, hope he slows down a little, and that's where we come in."

"That's a vintage car," Chimney said, eyes wide as he still tried to understand why they were doing what they were doing.

"You worried about damaging a classic, Chim?" Eddie inquired, slightly teasing.

"I'm worried about damaging the kid," Chimney scoffed a bit. "Airbags weren't standard until the '80s."

"A car that old, we're lucky it has a shoulder harness," Hen chirped in, matter of fact.