18

Sydney's POV

Staring into the darkness in front of me, I closed my eyes as tears began to stream down my cheeks. Touching my lips, I chastised myself for romanticizing a relationship with someone I could never be with. I never stood a chance. Not when we were young. And especially not then.

Turning my attention to inside of the plane, I felt awkward to be by myself. My eyes glanced around, as we were getting ready for lift-off. I turned off my phone and leaned my head backward. "Don't like flying either?" A woman next to me spoke.

I turned my attention to her and smiled weakly. "Something like that."

"I'm bracing myself."

I noticed that her hands clenched the armrests. She seemed more uneasy than I was. And I had lots of reason to be. "Just think happy thoughts," I said.

"That's what everyone tells me. It's bullshit." She inhaled deeply. "Mind distracting me so that I don't think about it?"

I nodded. "You might have to distract me instead. Not sure I'll be any good."

"And why's that? Hasn't been a good trip?" She closed her eyes. "Go to Hawaii, they said. It'll be the best trip ever. If only I didn't have to fly to get in and out of here."

"Would you rather travel by boat? It might take weeks."

"About three. I considered it. But I can't swim so—"

"You can't swim? Why come to Hawaii then?"

"I can float for about five minutes," she laughed. "I might be able to claw around for three. But marathon swimming. Nope. I can't survive if we go into the ocean."

"That's what the raft is for."

"And I'll trust that a raft and a life vest will keep be from dying, why? With my luck, the sharks will come after me."

Looking out the porthole, I exhaled a relieved breath when I saw the faint clouds. "I try to trust that we don't fall out of the sky," I said.

"I hope not. In the instance we do, I'm hoping you're a swim athlete, and you'll save me from frantically drowning."

"So that's why you're chatting me up. Hate to break it to you, but the only thing I can save you from is a kiddie pool."

She giggled softly. "Thanks," she mumbled and finally released the armrests. "Let's hope for no turbulence."

"Yeah. I'll ask mother nature to keep that in mind."

She smiled widely at me. "I'm feeling better. What about you?"

I stared mindlessly in front of me. "Far from it."