Part 5.24

A DAY BEFORE THE DARK AGES
BETHANY

Shouts and screams permeated the pounding of Bethany's heart. The time was here. The Tanerians had come.

Mama yanked Bethany behind the dresser. She pressed a finger to her lips. In the dark, her peridot eyes glistened with determination.

But Bethany couldn't be quiet. She had to go out there. She had to use her powers to help everyone.

She clamped down on her trembling lips and took a deep breath. She was a witch. She could do this.

Or could she? Was she sure? What if she fumbled? What if she froze? She could get the spell wrong. She could doom everyone.

A dizzying panic bloomed in her throat. Its throbbing was louder than the sound of swords clashing outside.

No, she couldn't panic. She was strong. Stronger than the fear.

Clear your mind, she chastised herself. Clear it right now.

She stood up, ignoring the weakness in her legs.

"What are you doing, child?" Mama hissed.

Magic tickled Bethany's fingertips. She urged it out, coaxed it into a wobbly blue orb that sat on her finger. But the orb sputtered and went out.

"No!" Bethany cried.

Mama pulled her back into the darkness.

"Are you trying to get us killed, child? Why do you never listen? I should have drowned you as a babe, like Da wanted."

It was like a thread had been cut loose. Bethany couldn't feel the energy around her anymore. He couldn't connect to the rest of the world. When she reached out, her own energy stumbled and receded.

This could not be happening. She'd practised so hard. She'd mastered everything Onyx had taught her.

There was a crash at the door.

Mama caught her breath.

"Kadreans have such fickle houses." The voice was thin and cold, like an ice filigree. "Take what you can find."

There were two of them. Bethany could see them through a gap in one of the cupboards. White hair. Eyes like red velvet. And strange silver tunics that blinked with squares of green and blue light.

Crash.

"Just some kitchen utensils and herbs. Try the bedroom."

"They could have jewellery in the dresser."

Bethany's heart caught in her throat. The Tanerian strode toward them. Magic spurted out of Bethany, and a rope of ice mist suddenly appeared around the Tanerian's ankle.

"Argh!"

The Tanerian toppled over, his magnamite baton flying out of his hands.

The magic vanished.

The Tanerian hit the floor, just as his baton hit the wall. Mama let out a small gasp as the secret latch she'd covered with a cloth painting swung open, spilling fire quartz onto the bed.

The Tanerian's eyes widened. "The magic stone," he breathed.

His comrade reached towards the glints of flame, but Mama leaped out from behind the dresser, peridot eyes flashing furiously.

"You stay away from that, you snow-infested barbarian!" she shouted. "I'd sooner die than let you pillage my hard-earned wares!"

The Tanerian regarded her calmly. His comrade's baton shone coldly in his right hand.

And then Bethany didn't know whether time was flying forwards or backwards or sidewards.

Mama lunged.

Bethany leaped.

The baton came down.

"No!" Bethany screamed, as Mama's body hit the floor with a sick thud. The magic still wouldn't come. It spurted from her fingertips uselessly, puddling on the floor like ordinary water.

"Heal!" she cried, not caring that a Tanerian grabbed her, or that his skin burned with blue fire when he did.

Why would her magic not obey her?

Agony wailed in her chest.

The floor shook, as if under the spell of an earthquake. Candle holders popped out of their places on the wall, furniture rattled, plates and spoons crashed to the floor. The Tanerians were set alight, icy flames gouging their bodies.

Bethany didn't hear their screams.

Because, under her desperate hands, Mama's chest had stopped moving.

She screamed no more.

She breathed no more.

Mama, her one precious Mama, was no more.