Chapter 29

Taehyung's first period of commoners' school turned out to be a complete and utter disaster.

While it was true that he had caught up on multiple school years in only a matter of few weeks, it was nowhere near enough for what they were currently being taught. All the confidence he had built up through intensively studying all of Jungkook's old school material literally evaporated as soon as he saw the first equation on the blackboard.

Of course, he had a very good amount of basic knowledge now, he was an extremely skilled and an extremely fast learner, very gifted in a lot of subjects. But vectors, square roots, variables and fractures were something he had yet to catch up on.
The fact that Jungkook's maths teacher was a strict man that forced students to the front deliberately did not help.

Luckily, he wasn't the only one who seemed to be having problems. Literally every single student stared at the equation with question marks over question marks clouding their faces, the teacher sighing in annoyance.

"Come on, kids. This is nothing but simple revision. Let's do this step by step." He looked through the rows of desks inquiringly. Then, he tapped on the first part of the equation.
"You. New kid."

Taehyung froze in his seat. The teacher was looking straight at him, and classmates were starting to whip their heads around at him which made the breath catch in his throat.
Does he want me to...

"Step by step. First part of the equation, what's the square root of four?" He remained frozen, his breath catching in his throat. Square... root?

Hands were raising around him, students finally seemed to be getting the question. Everyone except for him. He could feel his palms sweating, it seemed like everyone was looking at him. Everyone must be thinking he was stupid now! Was he?

"Square root of four, please. What did your previous school teach you?," the teacher tutted, and Taehyung hung his head down in shame. He felt embarrassed and enraged simultaneously. Why did he have to be picked? It wasn't his fault he was behind, after all! And it wasn't like he wouldn't catch up sooner or later.

In Elysium, his tutor would have been patient and careful, explaining whatever this was into most specific detail and making sure he actually understood. But apparently, things were different in this world.

"The square root of four is two!," Jungkook butted in to save him, making the maths teacher glare at him. Having been a student of his for several years, he knew the man could not stand students blurting out responses without their hands raised. But right now, he didn't care. Taehyung was being humiliated and he could not bear to see it.

"Yes, Jungkook, thank you for your input. I don't recall me calling your name and I think you've visited this school long enough to know I don't tolerate speaking without being spoken to," the man snarled and decided that he did not wish to question Taehyung any further and decided to move on to another student.
The prince let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, feeling his heart rate visibly calm down.

"I cannot believe this. How could I embarrass myself like this in my first lesson? Unbelievable!," Taehyung squeaked after the lesson had finished. "You must explain this square root thing to me, Jungkook. As soon as you can."

"Hey, hey. It's okay, you take your time to catch up and ignore Mr. Ma, he's a dick. Like a real-life Severus Snape," Jungkook reassured, munching on a chocolate bar. Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "I beg your pardon?"

"Oh yeah, I keep forgetting you actually come for a different world. What I meant was, don't listen to that idiot, he's mean to everyone. And have some chocolate, it'll help loosen you up." He pushed another chocolate bar towards the prince, the latter reluctantly taking it just to cope with the shame he was feeling.