1.1

[1.1]

The Avatar

The next day, the sun was shining beautifully.

Ren was next to a small pond filled with Koi fish, training with her katana. Her fingers were tightly wrapped around the handle of the sword and her breaths were regular as she moved, slashing through the warm air without resistance. She pointed her sword in front of her, before pulling her hand back so the blade would align with her face.

A few feet away from her stood Toph, happily observing through her feet her sister's adequate posture. While Toph was a wonderful earthbender, Ren didn't hold any expectations from her ability as a bender, so she relied on solid things, weapons that she could touch, much to her mother's dismay. The young girl barely practiced her earthbending anymore after her former teacher told her parents she was a lost cause, and she wouldn't even dare lavabend again.

The moment Toph moved from her spot under the cherry blossom, Ren frowned and released the breath she was keeping in, dropping her hands to her hips. She watched with a curious glance as her sister tapped her foot on the ground violently before walking away. Ren didn't waste any time and jogged behind Toph, making sure to keep her dress clean. When the younger sister stopped and moved slightly out of the way so Ren could see, the young girl's eyes widened. The water tribe boy whose name she remembered being Sokka was on his stomach, his face facing the grass, and his two companions were handing out in bushes.

"What are you doing here, twinkle toes," asked Toph towards the boy with the arrows.

"How'd you know it was me?" asked Aang.

"Don't answer to twinkle toes," scolded Sokka, "it's not manly."

"Says the one who acts like a fangirl," replied Ren as she rose her hand to point the tip of the sword to Sokka's face, remembering his act towards the Boulder. The boy's eyes widened but Ren only laughed before turning back to Toph.

"and you're the one whose bag matches his belt," added the water tribe girl, making Ren smile.

"How did you find us?" asked Toph, not paying attention to the two siblings and her sister bickering behind her.

"Well," started Aang, "a crazy king told me I had to find an earthbender who listens to the earth. And then I had a vision in a magic swamp. And—"

"What Aang is trying to say," interrupted the water tribe girl when she saw both Toph and Ren with confused expressions, "is that he's the Avatar. And if he doesn't master earthbending soon, he won't be able to defeat the fire lord.

"Not my problem! Now, get out of here. Or I'll call the guards."

Ren nodded at her sister's words and swiftly put her sword back in its scabbard, that hung from her waist. She walked away, following Toph as Aang looked at her with wide eyes, the girl only looked away. She was already out of the equation when the Avatar said he needed an earthbending teacher.

"Look, we all have to do our part to win this war," said Sokka as he watched the two girls walk away, "and yours is to teach Aang earthbending."

There was a moment of silence, when both Toph and Ren stopped walking. The older sister let out a sigh and continued her walk as Toph turned back to the group. "Guards! Guards, help!"