Chapter 12

The asshole is right

The asshole is right. I try to play the new tunes, where he corrected me, and it sounds a lot better.

I hear some voices in the hallway and furrow my eyebrows.

Huffing, I put my guitar to the side and stand up from my bed, heading towards the door and only opening it a little to see who's heading down the hallway.

My heart drops when I spot Delilah walking down, with Ares by her side. Their voices are low so I can't hear what they're saying.

My lips part at the scene and a dark feeling tugs at my heart.

Were they together all evening? And if so, what were they doing?

Delilah has that soft smile on her face. The one that everyone stares at because it's so lively.

And Ares is looking down at her with interest as if he's just discovered something new.

They bid their goodbyes and Delilah goes inside her room. Just like that, Ares turns around and walks away, too.

All I can think about, all I can scream inside of me, is; this isn't fair.

Closing the door, I walk back to my bed with my lip trapped between my teeth. So many questions are swirling around my head.

Why is he so cruel towards me?

If only I was as social and outgoing as Violet and Delilah, maybe I could've had a chance with others. Maybe I could've drawn some attention to myself.

Maybe Ares would've glanced my way with interest and not distaste.

I contemplate texting my sister and asking her for some confidence lessons.

She's always known to carry herself with grace. She's always known about the beauty that she holds.

Her outgoing personality got her far. Her boldness got her far, too.

My brother is the same. He's the charming one. The one who gets away by smooth-talking himself out of everything.

Meanwhile, I drown in anxiety and self-doubt and I hate it.

"Get over yourself," I whisper and meet my reflection in the mirror.

You're an Amoretto. Own it.

 Own it