2 | The Siblings On The Mountain

Emil's Point Of View

Leti and I stayed in that position for a long time. We cried a lot, but I felt better afterward. That, and sleepy. Crying made me really sleepy, but I didn't want to sleep. What if this is all a dream, and when I open my eyes it'll disappear? I don't want that to happen, so I will not close my eyes.

"Mi luz, you're tired," Leti said. She sounded tired herself, but I shook my head in refusal.

"No, I'm... not...," I fought back a yawn and failed, completely. No! Fight it. You can not let sleep win, Emil!

"Sure you aren't." She replied, amusement clear in her voice. She unwrapped her arms from around me, and I immediately missed the warmth. Leti had been really warm, warmer than she had been before. She lifted me up with ease and sat me on her lap. One arm wrapped around my chest, and her other hand rested on my hair. Gently, she leaned my head back onto her chest, and I could hear the steady rhythm of her heartbeat.

Leti was combing through my hair with her fingers, something I loved for her to do. This... was really comfortable. Very comfortable. Too comfortable. "Stooopp, sleep is... gonna win...!" I forced my eyes to stay open, lifting my head to peak at Leti whose very comfortable combing is betraying me.

Her eyes were open, red and puffy from crying. She was looking at me, using her really cool power that sees cool stuff. "Nothing is going to happen if you sleep."

"But something always happens," I failed to stop another yawn, "When I sleep." I finish. Bad guys were always looking for us, it was scary to even think of sleeping. If it wasn't bad guys, it was nightmares.

I continued to force my eyes to stay open, "I'm scared."

"I know, amorcito," She leaned down and kissed my forehead, holding me just a bit tighter. I reached up and held onto her arm. "But you have to get some rest. I'll be here, I won't ever leave."

"¿Prometes?" I asked, my eyes dropping as I spoke.

She continued to gaze down at me, a soft smile on her face. It made my eyes widen just a bit, before I fully closed them. "Lo prometo," She whispered.

It had been so long since I'd seen her smile. I love Leti's smile, her smile makes me smile. Everything will be okay if she's smiling.

 Everything will be okay if she's smiling

Art Drawn By Me!

She softly proceeded to hum a tune. It was her and Papi's favorite song. I could just hear him playing the guitar, and as if she knew what I was thinking of, she began to sing. More tears gathered in my eyes as I drifted into slumber, but I could feel Leti gently wipe them away.

In the end, sleep won.

But for the first time since Papi died, there were no nightmares.