Prologue

-17 Years before the curse -

"She's beautiful, Regina." Henry Sr. said to his daughter as they both looked down on the little bundle in Regina's arms. "Just like her mother."

"Yeah." Regina chuckles with watery eyes. "She is perfect." Big, blue eyes stared up at the brunette as she smiles at her daughter.

"Are you sure you still wanna do this, dear?" Henry questions with a pityful look on his face. Regina nods hesitantly as she doesn't pull her eyes way from the little girl, who started stirring in her arms.

"She can't live here. Not in the castle." Regina says with a shaky voice. "King Leopold would never agree to keep her."

"You don't know that-"

Regina cuts her father off. "I do know. And beside, if mother ever were to find out, I'd be afraid of what she would do to her. Even though she is stuck in Wonderland. What if she ever gets out?"

"Regina..."

"No, daddy. Please take her somewhere safe... where I can visit her a- and where she can grow up to be whoever she wants to be." The young brunette pleads. Henry Sr. nods and carefully takes his granddaughter in his arms. Regina gently kisses her daughter on the top of her head before fully letting go of her.

"I know a place." He smiles warmly at her. "It's a bit far away, but at least there she can grow up freely and safely."

"Thank you." Regina tries to give a smile as a tear rolls down her cheek.

"Before I go, what do you want to name her?" Henry Sr. asks. Regina quickly wipes away the stray tear and smiles brightly.

"Daniela. Daniela Mills."

-9 Years before the curse -

Regina had looked forward to this moment the entire month. She could finally visit her daughter again. The last time she visited was 23 days ago, which was too long for her taste. But going away without the entire kingdom noticing was rather hard, especially when one was the Queen.

She rides up to the small cottage near the farm where an slightly elderly woman lived together with her husband, and now also with little Dani since 8 years ago.

"Regina! Oh thank goodness you're here." Liana sighed heavily, before her eyes grew wider. "I- I mean, Queen Regina. My apologies."

"It's fine, Liana. We're beyond formalities, aren't we." Regina said with a small smile as she threw her white cloak over one side and stepped off her horse. "What's the matter?"

"It's Daniela, she-" Regina felt her heart stop for a moment and cut the woman off.

"Daniela? What happened to her?"

"Nothing happened to her, exactly..." Liana quickly adds. "She did something... I'm not sure how to explain it."

Regina sighed in relief, before her face turned into a frown. "What did she do?" Liana gives her an awkward smile as she gestures the Queen towards her house. Once inside, she finds Daniela sitting on the sofa, reading a book. The little girl notices her and a her face lights up.

"Mommy!" She yells, throwing the book to the side and running up to Regina. The little brunette wraps her arms around her mother's waist. "You're finally back."

Regina glances over to Liana, the two share a look before Regina caresses her daughter's hair. "Yes I am, darling." Then she gently pushes the girl back and drops down to her level. "Liana and I need to have a little chat. Do you mind waiting in your room until we are done?"

"Okay! But can we go horseriding after?" Dani asks with big puppy eyes and Regina chuckles, nodding.

"Of course. Now go, chop chop." She playfully taps her daughter on the back who starts to giggle and runs to her room. Regina turns back to Liana who is already sitting on the sofa and patting the spot next to her. The Queen sits down next to her.

"I don't know how to explain this. Or to even tell you this." The older woman shrugs, nervously wringing her hands together.

"Just say it already." Regina unintentionally snaps at her. But the woman doesn't even seem bothered by it.

"She took someone's... heart."

A/N: This is a rather short chapter, but its just the prologue! Should have the next one up soon :)

Chapter 1 will start off from season 2.

Hope you enjoy it so far!