0:12

It was beautiful

It was beautiful. Almost therapeutic to hear his smooth laugh through the phone. It didn't have a tinge of sadness, just a sense of relief, and honestly that put Shane's heart at ease before she even spoke a single word to him.

Instead, she smiled at the sound of his laugh, "Oh wow, this is the kind of greeting that I get, I love it," she leaned against the wall, watching the traffic slowly move by, as the rain now lightly sprinkled down on the city.

The sun had gone down. The time sitting at eight thirty pm. A cool breeze swept into her living room through the two windows she had open. She just loved the smell of rain, and she didn't know what about it she actually loved.

"I'm just surprised is all," his raspy voice traveled through the phone, gliding into her ear, "Shane actually calling me, I've got to say, I was caught off-guard seeing your name plastered across my screen,"

"Oh wow. Are you trying to say I'm heartless?" she lightly chuckled, awaiting his response.

"Oh nah, I wouldn't dare call you that. Don't want my head cut off, like you be doing my boy back at the shop," Amaru teased, and she rolled her eyes as though he could see her.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of receiving this call from you madam?" he asked immediately, not skipping a beat.

To that, Shane was entirely grateful, because she really had not called Amaru so they could speak about Hendrichs, but rather so she could check up on him, like she'd been meaning to do.

"I wanted to check in on you, and see how you are doing, and how your mother is doing as well," she dropped her tone, compassion running through her words straight into his ears, "the last time I saw you, you had me so worried,"

There was a slight pause, breathing heard from Amaru's side, as he tried to put his sentences together. Though he had just met Shane, her compassion right now moved his heart as though they had been friends for a decade.

"Ma'Dukes is recovering well, I'm so thankful to the Most High for saving her life. Lord knows what I would have done if He took her away," he explained, a small smile playing on his face.

"Aww Maru, I'm so happy to hear that. Praise God indeed," she smiled, so happy that nothing bad had happened to Amaru's mother.

"I'm good though, thank you for asking. My anxiety got the best of me when we last were in the same space, but I'm cool, calm, and collected now, which is amazing in my books," he softly chuckled, trying to keep the mood light.

"Yeah, I hear you - and I'm glad. It's perfectly normal for you to have reacted the way you did, I mean I can only imagine getting a call, letting you know that your mom is in danger, and no one wants to lose their mom at all," she spoke lightly, trying to prolong the conversation.

"No, no one really does. I've already lost my pops, and that was two years ago," he paused, his voice cracking, "losing my moms..." he paused yet again, his breathing being the only thing Shane could hear, "it would tear me apart, at that point, I'd just ask God to take me as well, because life would definitely not be worth living anymore,"