Hug [chapter 16]

"Here," the girl held out her hand. In it was a tiny circular device. "Put it in your ear. You'll be able to communicate with me then."

The day had finally arrived. Peter was going to take down the KP group... or at least die trying.

Over the past couple weeks they had off for winter break, the two had been working together to compile information. They'd learned that the leader was a guy named King Pin. He was big, and fat, and he rarely ever got involved himself, but he was strong. So incredibly strong that it had both of them worried.

He ran New York's biggest gang. King Pin had connections. And when he felt threatened, he'd hire people to kill his competitor. That's why he was targeting Spider-man.

Peter was a threat. He had gained popularity quickly after his battle against the lizard. The police were now willing to work with him because they knew all Spider-man wanted was to protect the city of New York; just like them.

Well, the police started targeting King Pin's group. He'd gotten a bit over his head with his power obsession. He'd started to murder too many, and so the police started to investigate. They were getting too close for the leader's liking. And because of that, he was choosing to eliminated their most powerful weapon. The law didn't scare him. He didn't care about some men with guns when he had people just like it. But there was one thing he didn't have that someone else had.

Spider-man.

He had the ability to shoot webs from his hands. He had the ability to crawl on walls. He had more strength than any normal human being should. He had this incredible power to predict things.

And King Pin had none of that. So he was going to take out his threat.

"Ummm..." Peter mumbled. He furrowed his brows and placed the device into his ear. It fit weirdly, but he would have to work with it. Peter had only been granted permission to go if she could talk to him all throughout the mission. "Thank you?"

He was about to put on his mask and escape through her window, but she stopped him before he could. Snatching the mask away from his hands, she opened her desk drawer and pulled out a mask identical to the one he made on his own. She switched them out and handed him the drawer mask.

"Use this one," she forced him to take it as she closed the other mask in the drawer. She let her eyes fall to the floor, "I made that one with a camera lens side the eyes so I can see what's happening as well."

"Oh, that's neat," Peter smiled. He pulled it over his head, adjusting it and being rather surprised at how comfortably it fit. He could also see through his eyes clearer than he could see through his original mask. "Thanks, l/n!"

She nodded and grabbed her laptop. Tucking it neatly inside her bag, she slung it over her shoulder, "Well, I'm going to a café. I haven't eaten at all today, so that's where I'll be while you're on the mission." She nervously scratched her arm, "And don't worry! I'll still be seeing and talking to you while I'm eating."

Peter nodded. She couldn't tell, but he had a wide smile under his mask. He was mentally saying goodbye to her 100 times over. This could possibly be the very last time he saw her. And he knew for a fact that she hated saying goodbye; it sounded too permanent for her liking.

He turned to leave, but as soon as he got ready to take the first step to the window, a pair of arms wrapped around his waist. Her hands pressed into his stomach, forcing him to stumble backwards slightly and further into her. She placed the side of her face to his back. Her mind was yelling at her to let go— that she needed to stop so the affection didn't get to his head.

But her heart wanted something else.

She knew there was a chance she wouldn't get to see him again. Of course she did. She was a pessimist; it was only natural for her to think of the worst possible outcome.