Chapter 36: Surprise, surprise

Zoe's POV

I turned around as I looked at the source of the voice.

I couldn't believe it, after all this time he was standing in front of me. I hated seeing his face about as much as I hated hearing his voice.

Gerald was standing in front of me.

After everything that happened, he was standing in front of me. I didn't feel anything for him, not even hate. Now that I think about everything that had happened, I can't believe I wasted so much time with him.

"Are you surprised to see me," he said breaking the silence.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

I balled my hand into a fist, everything about him angered me.

"How else does a person like me get invited to a place like this? Alex invited me." He spoke.

Alex would never do that; he didn't even know him. I don't know what his plan was, but he definitely wasn't going to provoke me.

"Are you that pathetic that you had to lie," I said.

He let out a laugh.

I've always wanted to end my relationships on a positive end, but with him it could never happen.

"You are the pathetic one here, it's sad that you have reduced yourself to this. You weren't this pathetic before." He spoke.

I must have been more pathetic if I was in a relationship with him.

I wasn't going to stand around for this. I scanned the room for Alex, maybe he could get him out of here before I did something stupid.

"You are just desperately after a guy who is just trying to get rid of you. He doesn't even want you. I would have thought that after all this time you would finally be able to take a hint." He mocked.

"You not even worth my time," I said.

As I turned to leave, I gripped my arm forcing me to stay.

I about to yell that he was harassing me, but I managed to contain myself. I had to constantly remind myself to be calm for the sake of my baby.

"Aren't you curious as to the real reason I am here? " He whispered. "For old times' sake, I think you deserve to know the truth."

I pulled my arm away from his grip. By now I noticed people were starting to stare.

"I don't have time for your games, I'd be happy enough knowing I never have to see you again. Goodbye." I spoke.

This time I was determined on leaving, but his next words stopped me in my tracks.

"A few months back, Alexander contacted me." He spoke. "Well... his private investigator did. And he offered me a lot of money, you wouldn't guess what it was for."

He had his signature smirk. He knew he had managed to get what he wanted, to torment me.

"He is planning on taking that precious baby of yours, as soon as its born and kick you out of their lives. He was willing to do anything it takes, even if it means using your past to make sure you never see that child again. As you know your list of offenses are quite lengthy, even if none of it is official. He has enough proof to prove how unstable you are. I'd start saying goodbye to that baby if I were you." He spoke.

He had to be lying. This was coming from a person who couldn't be trusted, who constantly lied to me. Why would he choose to be honest now, Alex would never stoop that low?