22 - A Spawning Fanbase/Space Vacation

In 1977, the Space City exhibition in Blackpool in 1977, which ran until 1981, included models, puppets and props from various Anderson shows. Although the majority of the models were from Space: 1999, models from UFO and the SUPERMARIONATION series were included, such as a model of Fireball XL5.  Photos of Fireball XL5 appeared in the Look In Comics 1980 No.50 and 1982 No.7, which had a Gerry Anderson cover on the front. However, in 1981, the Fanderson Community was set up in 1981 under the suggestion of Lew Grade himself to set up a very own Gerry Anderson society based on Anderson's productions. This fanbase has brought in hundreds of fans across the world and has helped to promote Anderson's productions and keep the flame alive of his shows to this day. They have produced their own magazines, released exclusive merchandise, and happily promoted anything Gerry Anderson related. This was also formed as a result of the ITV screenings of Stingray, Thunderbirds, and Joe 90 in 1981 (see Chapter 23). Fanderson members were issued with a Fanderson badge and issues of the official fanzine S.I.G. Magazine (SUPERMARIONATION Is Go) - some of those volumes have helped assist in the information regarding this book! And in 1982, a remix of of Fireball of The Kadettes was released by Blank Records.

As stated in the video above, Fireball XL5 was considered to be colourised in the 1980s. This was because the series was considered to be part of the Super Space Theatre compilation films that ITC remade for home video viweing, but unfortunately because of the cost of colouring the series (which is still pretty expensive today but back then would have cost an arm and a leg!) was prohibitively too expensive. If the series was to have a compilation film (even if it was to remain in black and white), I could see the Subterrainian episodes all being worked to form a feature length movie. This would have encompassed Planet 46, Wings Of Danger, Dangerous Cargo and Space City Special, as demonstrated below.

It would also have made sense to do Fireball XL5 film which was syndicated across America, seeing that the series was networked in the country and would have been fondly remembered by younger viewers.

Photos of Fireball XL5 appeared in the Look In Comics 1980 No.50 and 1982 No.7, with a Gerry Anderson cover on the front. In 1984, the series appeared in the SUPERMARIONATION graffiti No.43 book which focused mainly on Captain Scarlet, but included all of Andersons shows from Supercar up to Terrahawks. The TOWN MOOK SUPER VISUAL SPECIAL 4 ITC SF MECHA GRAFFITI, Published by Tokuma Shoten (Town Mook) Publications in 1985, also included images inside of all of Anderson's shows from Supercar to Terrahawks. Once again, in 1989, the series featured in the Complete Episode Guide of Gerry Anderson from Titan Comics, even if much of the information is incorrect. The book has acquired the infamous title ofThe Incomplete and Largely Inaccurate Gerry Anderson Episode Guide.  More soundtrack releases were issued of the series. In 1987, Fanderson produced their exclusive album of Music from the 21st century by Barry Gray, which included the Formula Five track on it. The second volume from 1988 included the Zero G theme. A remixed theme to Fireball by the Free-Rekkers appeared on the A-Z British TV themes in 1992. Action 21 comics reprinted many previous titles from older comics of the 60s and 70s in the late 1980s.

SPACE VACATION;

Written by Dennis Spooner

Directed by Alan Pattillo

Original UK Airdate: 17th February 1963 (ATV London and Ulster)

Additional Voice Cast:

Kanerik David GrahamJankel John Bluthal Ergon David Graham

Yet another favourite episode of mine, with much witty humour from the late great Dennis Spooner and wonderful characters. Another delicate family and political situation is handled well in this story. We assume that the XL5 crew are on their way to a much-awaited holiday destination, and then the trouble starts. This episode presents more nail-biting high stakes, thinking that the life of the Professor really is sealed this time. I love the set designs, and can see that the designers have taken much care and attention to creating a beautiful paradise planet.