27 - Carlton Acquisition/Dangerous Cargo

On the 10th December 1998, Universal Studios' parent Seagram purchased Polygram for $10.2 billion. A few days later, Lord Grade sadly passed away on 14th December, bringing an end to the career of one of the biggest men in show business. Grade's productions would still live on however as in early January 1999, Carlton Communications purchased the entire ITC film and TV catalogue for £91 million, bringing over 15,000 hours of entertainment with it. Carlton chairman Michael Green said: "The ITC Library is a jewel in the crown. We can now unite it with the other gems from Britain's film and television heritage in our excellent library." Carlton could then sell the broadcast rights to the films as well as use the library for its own channels. Carlton was a British media company set up in 1983, and by the late 1990s, they were technically ITV. It had been the first time in many years that these British TV series were now in the hands of a company based in the UK.

On 22nd August 2000, Channel 5 ran a day of programs relating to Gerry Anderson and his programs. Fireball XL5 was featured in the Mr. Thunderbirds: The Gerry Anderson Story documentary. The first form of merchandise from Carlton regarding Fireball XL5 came in the form of the SUPERMARIONATION cross-sections book from Autumn 2001. Cross-sections from Graham Bleatham featured from Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, and a cutaway of Fireball XL5 (see Chapter 11). The book included a description of the world of Fireball XL5 and some colourised pictures from the episode Invasion Earth. The 100 Greatest TV Themes from Silva Screen Records (2002) were remixed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra included themes to many cult classic series such as Doctor Who, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, as well as Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stingray, Joe 90, Space: 1999 and of course Fireball XL5. In 2003, THE COMPLETE GERRY ANDERSON THE AUTHORISED EPISODE GUIDE by Chris Bentley was released by Reynold & Hearn Ltd featured a huge mammoth book covering all of Anderson's productions right from The Adventures Of Twizzle up to the developments of New Captain Scarlet. In Early 2004, Japanese model makers Konami released a premium pack of toys of Gerry Anderson models. One pack contained S.I.D. from UFO, an Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999, and Fireball XL5. The Sleeping Astronauts CD in 2004, a Fanderson exclusive, was another album containing scores from various Anderson series. From Fireball XL5, the tracks of Formula Five, This Is The Twist, and Fireball were included.

DANGEROUS CARGO;

Written by Dennis Spooner

Directed by John Kelly

Original UK Airdate: 24th March 1963 (ATV London and Ulster)

Additional Voice Cast:

Subterrain I David Graham Subterrain 2 John Bluthal

Commander Zero and Matt's conversation about using missiles to destroy Pharos refers to the events of The Doomed Planet. The Subterrainians make their third appearance in the series in this episode. Yet another strong episode of the series, we get to see the hilarious sequence of Zonnie spinning Space City tower out of control from his silly actions, and Jock's response of "I wouldn't like to be in your shoes", followed by Zero's angry comments. He comes with the XL5 crew on their latest mission, but is locked up in a cell aboard the ship where he does will not be able to cause trouble. The fact that it is Zoonie who ends up saving the day on the crumbling planet ending its demise, and we do in the end feel sorry that it appears that Zoonie was killed in the episode. Even Zero himself, who despises him for his antics, ends up feeling sorry for him too. Fortunately, Zoonie turns up unexpectedly alive and well. This has defiantly got to be one of my favourite stories of the series!