35 - Critical Analysis/Ghosts Of Space

The response from critics about Fireball XL5 has been very positive over the years. The "space western series" has been described to have a unique charm and sophistication all its own with its blend of playful storytelling told in ways that makes the series work and appeal equally to adults and children. Ian Fryer has stated that Steve Zodiac acts as an "Interstellar sheriff" and the series adopts western stock characters creates warmth and familiarity for the viewer. The writing has been commented to feel more like an old-school comic, but the series does not rely so much on hardware as other later programs did. Some have described the "Space opera" series to be Anderson's first classic series. Perhaps because Fireball XL5 was made solely in black and white, it has not allowed it to be aired so frequently in Anderson rereuns such as in the 1990s. Barry Gray's music has also been critically acclaimed for this series, but throughout its long run of episodes, the series has posed some very relevant and important questions and themes. Ideas about destruction spread from ideas of anxiety of Cold War conflicts or the Cuban Missing Crisis in 1962 was defiantly in the mind of the writers, as demonstrated in stories of political tension between races such as Planet Of Platonia

Aside from the dangers and terrors space travel presents, the science and reality of a world of the series by 2062 by today's standards may seem unlikely from the perception of today's younger generations. There are usually only two aliens of a civilisation we see, and the fact that an entire tower is spinning without no one is getting sick from it is are just a couple of examples to it. If there were futuristic spaceships in the future, then it might look more holographic with their ergonomically controlled consoles. More along the lines of that of Thunderbirds Are Go!. With such a variety of planets already explored and understood, it may seem a little unconvincing to younger children who grew up with Marvel and big budget productions of today. Younger audiences may not find the jokes so amusing or be convinced by some of the outlandish storylines, or the reality of oxygen pills. 

However, as already mentioned, attitudes were entirely different when this series was made, such as the aforementioned sexism in question towards Dr. Venus. It cannot go unstated that Fireball XL5 was a huge merchanding success at that time, and, as repeated, took new levels of sophistication of models and VFX. The Anderson shows, bar Disney, took merchandising levels to whole new levels. Fireball XL5 was also made at the time of the Space Race, and when space travel and colonisation of other planets was a very new idea. It was made as a children's series and not with the intention of binge watching. Episodes were hardly ever repeated, therefore if you missed it, you missed it. Stories were made as popular themes were around at the time, such as the use of dream episodes Anderson employed from time to time on his shows. Or if there was a particular topical theme in the news that caused controversy, let's say. Neither is there no real overarching plot threat across the series, simply because TV episodes was made to be watched one week after another.

60 years on, Fireball XL5 has much to offer, and for audiences to question themes and attitudes over.

GHOSTS OF SPACE;

Written by Alan Fennell

Directed by John Kelly

Original UK Airdate: 6th October 1963 (ATV London and Ulster)

Additional Voice Cast:

James Frazer John Bluthal Halla John Bluthal Senta David Graham

Although this is one of my favourite episodes of the series, and most memorable of stories, this is the only story Commander Zero and Lieutenant Ninety do not appear in, nor Space City. It feels very odd not to have them in this story, like a big hole missing in a jigsaw puzzle. Especially when they are such important characters and settings to the series, and played such vital roles in the previous episode Invasion Earth. James Frazer takes the lead in this episode. The guest character works many hard months in order to take such findings home in order to get the output and appreciation he feels he deserves. It is understandable why he is cross with Steve not allowing him to take his rocks after the time of solitude he spent alone without going out of his mind. His self-discipline and determination defiantly deserve gratification. The interesting dilemma is that Steve cannot take the rocks with him because Fireball XL5 won't be able to take the weight, resulting in a serious skirmish between Frazer and the XL5 crew. Halla and Senta's spacecraft was designed from that of the prop for Supercar. The haunting setting and alien ghosts add perfectly to the haunting atmosphere we are presented to. Barry Gray once again excels with his score for the episode, as does the set designers.