fifty eight

"shit." you hear draco curse as he runs down the stands, with crabbe and goyle clambering after him.

gryffindor are officially announced the winners of the match.

marcus bellows from the field, ranting about how harry hadn't won the match fairly and apparently, slytherin should have won instead because: 'he got it in his mouth! merlin's sake, hooch!'

"he's embarrassing himself-" francis mutters, from behind you.

you let out a chuckle and look around you. the slytherins scowl and discuss furiously amongst themselves as the three remaining houses seem to still be bubbling with the high of a rare and exciting gryffindor win.

you peer down at harry, gripping the ledge and see him grinning from ear to ear still waving at his friends up in the stands as they chant his name.

his face is as scarlet as his robes, his knuckles white and his palms sticky and clammy as it grips his broomstick tight in fear of it going haywire once more.

you look back to quirrel who has, not to your surprise- retreated.

you're also not surprised to see that your father has left too- probably to see what quirrel has to say.

a jump and a quick dodge and you skid down a few steps to escape the stands full of students and the calls of serena and blaise behind you.

you hit the ground and begun walking fast paced in the damp grass, smiling to yourself as you hear the faint sound of adrian trying to comfort a raging marcus flint.

it's futile, of course.

you quicken your pace as you hear blaise's calls getting louder behind you, panting now as you glance behind and duck under the fabric of the hufflepuff stands and step out into the light of the walkway up the hills that peer up at the castle when you feel your head hit against something firm.

you pull away at the sound of a grunt and rub at your forehead.

"oh, careful there. didn't mean to hurt you there, y/n."

you look up at the half-giant with a lopsided smile, the pain short and leaving within a few seconds.

"it's okay, hagrid. i wasn't looking where i was going." you reply, you look down to your left and see harry grinning at you.

"harry!" you smile, warmly. "i can't believe you won! on your first match too!"

"thanks, y/n." he laughs. "i was really afraid there for a second."

"we all were." hagrid nods, side-eyeing ron and hermione who seem to be discussing something extremely important in rushed whispers right next to you.

he looks to you.

"why don't you come along to my hut? i'm making us all a brew of some of my strong tea."

bingo.

just what you'd hoped would happen.

"thank you." you smile. "i'd love that."

hagrid holds out his elbow and you take it, and the lot of you head down the hill to his little hut where he lets you in.

the huts not huge but it's a lovely place to be. with wooden walls about 3 metres tall it makes no sense for a half giant to live here but it seems hagrid copes. his belongings are scattered around in a homely way, he's laid out fur over sofas to warm them and let a fireplace burn in the front of his home to warm it, glowing with a coziness almost forced by its simplicity.

a kettle sits on the flames and the smells emitting from it can hardly compete with anything your father had ever made. but it was hagrid, and you appreciated anything this man would do for you because you knew it came from his heart.