Luisa: Not a Date

Luisa wasn't the type to get distracted easily. If she had a task in front of her—which was all the time—she could get it done with no major setbacks. She could carry about 12 donkeys across the entire village without breaking a sweat, staring straight ahead and not pausing until the task was done.

That is, unless you happened to be nearby.

See, Luisa didn't get distracted easily...but you were the one exception.

It was inconvenient, really. She could be carrying a building, no problem, but if she saw you standing in the street, she'd freeze, unable to keep moving until the weight of the building became too much to bear.

That was exactly what happened to her today. She was carrying someone's house to a new location because the owners didn't like their neighbors, when she happened to spot you leaning against the church a few meters away. Your eyes had been on her, but you looked away before Luisa could tell if you'd genuinely been watching her or not.

Regardless, she stopped where she stood, her already rapid pulse quickening. She tried not to gawk, but it was nearly impossible—you were simply one of the most dazzling people she'd ever seen. She'd seen you countless times before, but she never failed to get flustered every time she noticed you.

Finally, she became aware of the building resting on her shoulders and the pain it caused, and that motivated her to keep moving, her eyes darting away from you before you could catch her staring.

When she finally set down the building, rolling her aching shoulders a little as she straightened up, she began to walk home for lunch. As she walked, her eyes constantly drifted, hoping to catch a glimpse of you. At first, she saw nothing, and felt a tiny flicker of disappointment. But then, from behind her, someone said, "Excuse me?"

She stiffened and spun around to face you. "Hi!" she exclaimed, then went bright red from her loud volume. "I—I mean...hello." She crossed her arms, pressing her lips together and attempting to look collected.

"Are you busy?" you asked her, wringing your hands together. You were so beautiful. Luisa couldn't figure out how anyone could be as adorable as you.

"No," she replied automatically. "What is it? Need me to move a boulder? Tilt your house? Move a wagon? I can do that." She was, of course, about to eat lunch, but you were more important than that right now. She'd eaten food before, but who knows when you'd ask her for something again?

"Oh, nothing like that," you said in surprise. "I just wanted to know if, um..." you scratched the back of your neck, looking away shyly. "Are you free tomorrow?"

Luisa pressed her lips even harder. "Oh. I'm not sure." Her heartbeat pounded in her ears, and she was pretty sure her face was flaming red. "I can try to clear something up. Why?"

You knotted your hands together, chuckling nervously, and met her eyes. "Do you want to maybe hang out then?"

"What?" She blinked, staring you down, and had to tighten her arms so that she wouldn't drop them at her sides. "Like...in what context?" Her voice was so high pitched now—did she have to sound so nervous?

"Whatever you want!" you said, holding your palms up. "It could be two friends chilling, a date—or something! Whatever, I'm cool with anything."

Luisa's mouth popped open slightly. Were you asking her out? Or was she imagining things? "Yeah, um, me too."

"Yo, Luisa," Camilo greeted as he appeared next to her. "We're about to start eating, you know."

"Oh—right," Luisa replied, looking at her cousin. "I'll be right there."

Camilo glanced at you, and you waved politely at him. His face split into a mischievous grin; he looked up at Luisa with an eyebrow wiggle. "Who's your friend?"

"Y/n," you said with a slight nod, apparently missing the implications in his voice. Luisa shot Camilo a dirty look, and he continued to wiggle his eyebrows teasingly.

"See you later," Luisa said to you, and you smiled charmingly in return.

"Of course."

Camilo began to speed-walk away, and Luisa turned and followed him before he could eat everything at home.

It was probably a mistake to catch up with him, because he turned his evil grin on her again. "So...what was that all about?"

"Nothing," Luisa said sharply, but her face heated up again, giving her away. "They asked to hang out and I said yes. Nothing more to it."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, really," she hissed.

He seemed unconvinced. "So then why were they looking at you like this?" He transformed into you and put on an exaggerated lovey-dovey face, making irritating kissing sounds.

"I will throw you into a wall," Luisa grumbled, and he burst out laughing, finding himself hilarious.

"Enjoy your date," he laughed, and began to run ahead so Luisa wouldn't grab and kill him. Luisa herself sighed under her breath at her annoying cousin's antics.

"It's not a date," she muttered. "But I wish it was."