𝐭𝐞𝐧

As Michelle regained consciousness, the noises of people talking and moving around quickly flooded her head and overwhelmed her. She wasn't sure where she was, but as she tries to open her eyes she quickly shut them — it was too bright in the room.

"Is she dead?"

"Shut up, Steve!"

"Sorry — sorry-"

"Hey! Shelly — c'mon wake-up, kid." Someone — a male voice. Michelle's mind was still hazy as she tried to get an idea of who it was.

"Johnny?" She croaked.

"I'm sorry, Shells — it's Soda — and Steve."

The light was still too much on Michelle's eyes, but then getting a burst of energy, they flung open.

"Where is he? Is he okay —? Ponyboy! Is he okay? And Dallas?" She said, frantically, having a hard time catching her breath.

Sodapop noticed immediately, "It's okay— Shelly, they're all here, don't worry."He said, comfortingly.

"Can I see him?"

Michelle hadn't needed to specify, both Steve & Sodapop knew, they always had.

Dodging the question, "Get some rest, okay Shells?" Steve said, both him and Sodapop getting up from the hospital chairs.

Sodapop and Steve made their way out of Michelle's hospital room, turning out the light as they did. Michelle then layed back on her bed, taking in the quiet, and the comfortable she's longed for, for as long as she could remember.

The idea of Johnny not being okay scared the hell out of Michelle. She's had a protective feeling over him since she could remember. In a way, she wouldn't be able to explain to anyone.

Michelle must have fallen asleep because she was rudely awoken by a bright flash of white and the sound of a cart moving around.

"Ms. Parker, are you all right?" A feminine voice asked.

Michelle opened her eyes, a blonde woman in a nurse uniform standing beside her, "Yeah, my head just really hurts."

"That could be from when you had gone unconscious, but we will do further tests once you are a bit better. Does anything else hurt?"

"My stomach — but that might be because I haven't eaten real food in days."

"Yes — you have lost a significant amount of weight. We will have a meal delivered to you soon. Do you need anything else?"

"Yes — Uhm.. is there any way you can tell me how Johnny Cade is doing?" Michelle said.

"I can't tell other people information about other patients—"

"He's not just another patient! He's my —"

Michelle stopped for a second, she wasn't sure exactly what Johnny was to her right now. It was all just confusing and made her body and head hurt even more.

The nurse took notice of the confused look on Michelle's face, "Have you forgotten who he is to you?" She said, alarmed.

"No! It's just — complicated. We haven't exactly been fit to talk about it." Michelle muttered.