2: brian mckenzie

Amanda

Today was my first day at my new high school, East Bridge High.

I didn't know what to wear, I was never good at picking outfits. But eventually I settled with a brown hoodie, 90s  jeans and pink sneakers, and of course, a beanie - dark blue, my favorite.

One minute I was getting ready in my bedroom, and the next I was stood on the pavement of my new school.

"Have a great day at school Amanda!"

"Thanks, mom! See you at home."

I stared at my mother's car, as she drove off to take Lily to her school, a few blocks away.

Then I turned around and took a deep breath as I looked at the building before me.

Ugh.

Why did joining a new high school have to be so....hard.

Not only do I have to get used to a new place, but I have to make friends again. Which isn't easy when everyone has their own groups. I sure hoped I'd find a group to fit into.

"Well, here we go."

From the moment I walked inside, I noticed something super strange.

Everyone was looking at me.

And not in a, are you the new girl?  curious kind of way. It was as if they already knew who I was.

I kept my head down and made my way to the main office. Once I got there, I was greeted by a short-haired lady with glasses, behind a desk.

"Can I help you young lady?"

"Yes! Hi! I'm new here, my name is Amanda James."

"Oh! Amanda, of course. Welcome to our facility. Did you get here okay?"

"Yes I did, thank you."

"Lovely."

She clicked the mouse on her computer several times, and then picked up a paper in a nearby cabinet.

"Here is your schedule, and locker number, along with its combination. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, or any other member of the school board, we're here Monday to Friday, eight til five."

I took the things.

"Okay, great! Thanks."

She smiled.

"Christine will show you to homeroom."

I furrowed my brows.

"Christine?"

The receptionist pointed behind me.

I turned to see a girl leant against the door. She had long, bushy, blonde hair, and wore a black tank top and ripped jeans. Silver chains were in layers around her neck, and she had bracelets on her arms.

"So it is true."

I frowned in confusion.

What did she mean it was true? What was true?!

"I'll take it from here, secretary. You coming, new girl?"

She walked away.

I smiled awkwardly at the woman and gathered my things.

"Thanks, again."

"Have a great first day!"

I ran out the door and caught up with Christine who was walking casually with her hands on her backpack.