TWENTY-FIVE

10 years ago

"You can't be a coward son." Brooks trailed around the younger boy. "I didn't raise you to be that. Landon's aren't scared."

The younger boy trembled. He was scared of his father. He never wanted to say no to him. Tobias wanted to be a Landon, as the oldest, he had a duty. But Tobias wasn't mean, he didn't want to be mean.

"But dad, it's my birthday. I just want to hang out with my friends."

"What friends? Eros and Anteros and those other boys. They're comfortable with doing nothing and getting money for nothing. To be a Landon you have to acquire our assets, you need to work."

Tobias nodded.

"Look in the mirror. You're a machine. There's no such thing as a human. You're born to work. You work to die."

"I don't want to do that."

"Then look at yourself son. Tell yourself that you're a coward." He grabbed his face. "Say it!"

"No."

"Say it! Say that you're a coward!"

"I'm not a coward! Get off of me." Tobias pushed him away. "I'm not a coward."

Brooks angrily stared at his son. "Then prove it to me."

"I will. I'll be ten times better than you."

~

"Tobias' birthday party is tonight and I'm stressing over my gift." I huffed while pacing back and forth.

"Why? I think it's nice." Kelsey stared at it.

"You don't think it's weird, Kels?"

"It's amazing. I'm sure he would like it. Speaking of his party, what are you wearing. You have to be stunning as his fiancé."

"Too bad Lauren's going to be there."

"I'm starting to think you love him."

"Don't say that." I shook my head. "Sure, I have a crush, but loves a bit far."

"Just saying."

"I'm wearing a red sparkly dress."

"I think I saw it in your closet." Kelsey smiled. "You feel safe being back in the penthouse?"

"I do. Security is stricter."

"Yeah. Tell me about it. I thought they were going to ask for a blood sample so I could get in." She chuckled.

"I missed this penthouse. The other one was so boring. Tobias called about every second now to check on me."

"Where is your fake fiancé?"

"Beverly is taking him all around the city so he's prepared for tonight."

"What if she makes you do a speech?"

"I can already see Lauren seething."

"It'll be amazing."

"What are you wearing, sexy?" I questioned. "I can't believe you're going. Especially since your ex-fiancé is there."

"Me and Jacob were fake okay. There's no bad blood. We got exposed for being fake."

"Yeah, but you started to like him along the way Kels."

"So?"

"So, you don't like anybody. We're like the same, relationships don't excite us."

"Yes. But this was a Pr stunt."