12🔸️Ayaz

Blood on skin. Light on stars. Rolling sand. Dripping blood.

Blood. Blood everywhere. On his eyes. On his hands. Everywhere.

No. Ayaz was definitely going mad, and it was all because of some stupid injury.

He limped over to his horse named after the night, his hand still clutching his stomach. The four-legged creature neighed in concern, scraping his hoof on the ground.

Combing his shaggy mane, Ayaz forced himself onto Layl's firm back. "Get me out of here, my friend."

Layl neighed once more, and then they were off. Ayaz pressed his head behind Layl's neck as the horse navigated through the desert without his direction. His consciousness drifted in and out, but in his mind's eye, he saw the waning moon in the face of someone he just left.

The haris didn't follow him. Surprising. Khadysians were smart enough not to leave an enemy of theirs live, but Ayaz was thankful that they didn't think about it this time.

Ayaz didn't know how long he'd been riding in the desert. That is, until a group of men on horseback surrounded him when he suddenly got his head clear, or at least partially.

Black men on black horses. Silhouettes, perhaps? Ayaz couldn't tell if they had color with the pitch black surrounding him everywhere, but a familiar falcon flew just above their heads.

They were here after all. He knew it.

One of them approached him. "Ayaz, is that you?"

Ayaz lifted his head to address the one who spoke, but even though his vision turned double, he could recognize the man's voice anywhere.

"Idris," Ayaz moaned.

His weight shifted to the left, and he landed on the sand with a thud. Several of the men scrambled towards him and flipped him over. Idris, with his rich ocean green eyes and tanned face—typical features of a Naayiki, stared at him worriedly.

"Sands, what happened to you?" Idris grabbed the turban wrapped over his head and bundled it over Ayaz's wound. "Who did this? Say the name and they will pay."

"Khadysians," Ayaz said. "No time to explain how. Or why. Lead the others to the border. We've got to help Badriya. Quickly."

"We? No, you're staying here." Idris barked a couple of names, and two young boys in dark gear hurried to their side with a bag. As they took out rolls of bandage and a needle and thread from their kit, Idris stepped aside to let them do their work.

"You're injured," Idris said, "and you're in no way allowed to move around in your condition, Amiri."

My prince. Idris only referred him that if he were teasing him or were serious about something. Right now, with him taking a sharp breath at every time the needle pricked in his abdomen, Ayaz didn't know which was which.

Ayaz shook his head. "After they're done fixing me, I'm coming with you. You won't know the way to the cave that I just came from."

Idris crossed his arms. "Then tell us where it is and we'll handle the rest."

"I'm coming with you," Ayaz repeated.

"What are you, mad?" Idris threw his hands up. "After you left for Zarab, you haven't told us of your whereabouts and we got worried. You're lucky that one of us spotted you from one of the villages or we wouldn't have seen you here bleeding to death!" He took a deep breath. "We're all surprised you're still speaking. As your right hand, I won't let you go anywhere until you are healed up completely."

"But you don't understand—"

"You don't understand," Idris retorted. "I'm not going to deny that you're the most skilled swordsman among us, but you're the damn prince, Ayaz. You don't get to risk your life this far for some. . . crusade for a jewel your father ordered you to find."

"How did you—" Ayaz paused. Of course he knows.

"You should've at least brought me with you," Idris added.

"You know I wouldn't," Ayaz said. "My father specifically told me I was to do it alone and I—"

"Since when did you start listening to that bastard?" Idris scoffed. "I thought you are not one to obey your father's whims. At least most of them."

"That's not important—Tabban!" Ayaz hissed at the sudden jolt of pain coming from his wound. He glared at one of the healers who was stitching him up. "Be careful, will you? I can tolerate pain, but I felt as if I were stabbed again."

The boy recoiled at his cold stare. "S-sorry, za'eem."

"Here, I'll do it." Shooting a displeased glance at Ayaz, the other healer took the needle from him. "You prepare the bandages instead."

After they switched places, Idris spoke once more, "You're not going, Ayaz."

"I am," Ayaz said, his tone firm. "This is the first time I ran away from a fight, Idris, and the only reason why I did so was I needed help for the fight."

"And you'll get it, but we have to help you as well."

Ayaz sighed. He won't stop until he proved a point, and until then, we would be wasting time.

"Fine," he said. "I-I'll stay back. Head to the border and help Badriya out. Please."

Arms falling to his sides, Idris studied him, his eyes soft yet calculating. "Is this. . . woman, I assume, someone close to you?"

"Yes."

Idris didn't press further. Bless him for being a good friend.

He turned to the young medics who treated him. "Saleh, Hamad. Stay with him, alright? And whatever you do, don't let him out of your sight."

Hamad, the one who initially did Ayaz's stitches, nodded meekly. Saleh, on the other hand, simply raised a brow.

Ayaz looked at the two in suspicion. Just what was Idris thinking, letting two neophytes tend to him like some sort of child? Albeit he had a life-threatening injury, he could easily restrain them so he could follow Idris and the others back to the cave by the country's border. He'd especially like to see the smug one, Saleh, tied in ropes. The kid had an attitude problem, and he might need to learn a lesson.

Idris rode his horse, then panned his gaze to the rest of the group. "Yalla, jama'a. Who wants to mess with some Khadysians?"

In response, the crew shouted in glee. Some raised their weapons up in the air, while others beat their fists onto their chests. Even with the thoughts of Badriya in danger dampening his mood, their enthusiasm infected Ayaz, making him grin ever so slightly.

The haris better watch out, for the night just turned deadlier for their sake. 

wc: 1110

wc: 1110