Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Greedy

My eyes were closed, but my consciousness was everywhere. I was keenly aware that Kristan was wide awake and just staring at me while struggling to put my body at rest. I was wondering about his thoughts while also thinking about the chaos later.

I softly gasped when he pulled me closer to him until my head rested against his chest. It was a swift move, but he swayed me to this place perfectly that I didn't need to adjust just to feel comfortable.

"Hush," he whispered as he brushed his fingers through my hair, and that prompted me that I should really take a rest because he was causing me to feel shitty. "Rest your mind, Nathalia."

Hindi. Alam kong masyado lang akong halatang gising kaya niya sinabing magpahinga na ako. Hindi niya nabasa ang nasa utak ko.

He wasn't capable of penetrating the boundaries I had built for myself. There's no way he could get into my head without me allowing it to happen.

I heard him sigh as he stopped caressing my hair. Naramdaman kong lumuwag ang pagkakayakap niya sa akin. Bumangon siya, pero nanatiling nakaupo pa rin.

"I don't think you can rest with all those things going on in your head," I heard him say, and that's when I unclosed my eyes. He was looking at me.

I swallowed. "I think I need some fresh air."

Yeah. That's all I need.

"Sure—"

"Alone," I cut him off.

I felt the need to be alone. Having him around wasn't really helping me at all. In fact, he was primarily the reason why I was suffering from this.

"Be back in an hour," he stated.

If I was just in my typical character, I should have rolled my eyes and ignored what he said. I don't authorize anyone to dictate or, worse, limit me from what I want to do.

I didn't bother to get myself a jacket or a sweater to wear against the frosty weather. My body could feel the cold, but I could tolerate it, especially now that I had a taste of Kristan's blood. My body had already recuperated from all those restless days.

I put on my sandals and got out of my room. Tahimik na ang bahay kaya alam kong nagpapahinga na sila. Nakasunod sa akin si Kristan hanggang sa kusina.

"I will wait here." He sat down on the chair and laid his back on it. "In an hour, huh?"

I looked at him for a moment. When he shut his eyes, I walked toward the backdoor. As soon as I opened the door, the freezing air embraced me.

I went outside that night for the second time since I came in here, but I was wearing my sandals now. Sa halip na dumiretso papunta sa garden ni Lady Massie, tinahak ko ang salungat na daan.

It took me ten minutes before I heard the crash of waves from afar. That put a smile on my lips. Hindi na ako nakuntento sa paglalakad kaya napatakbo na ako.

I giggled like a thrilled kid as soon as I saw the vast ocean. It was empty and dark, just perfect for me. The wind was harsher and more favorable.

My night lingerie was swaying with my hair as I ran on the seashore where the water could grasp my feet. No matter how many places I've been to, the sea would consistently be my best view.

I ran and ran like I was some bird who just got freed from the cage, craving for freedom and wanting to make it far. The sound of waves crashing on the shore, my giggle fading into the air, and the sound of wind gushing— this perfectly described me.

Freedom. I would do anything to be free.

I stopped and looked back. I couldn't see my footprint on the sand as if the sea knew that I wouldn't want to be traced by anyone.