Chapter Nine

"So, today I think we should decorate up your room." Alexsandra said during breakfast the next morning, "You've been here for nearly two weeks and your room is still in the standard style."

"Whatever you say." I said, taking a bite of my banana. It's been two weeks since my first training session, and I think I've been fitting in quite well. Alex and I are "inseparable" as Jace puts it, and we all go hoverboarding together quite often. The only person I can't seem to get along with is Bailey. She just glares at me whenever she sees me. I decided not to take it personally for now, and to just let it be.

"Great!" Alexsandra said, "First I think we should go shopping for supplies, because no offense, but your craft stock is kinda sad."

I laughed, "None taken."

"Actually," Frank said from behind me, "Dr. Morsie would like to see you, Sage."

I would've jumped a week ago, but now I was used to Frank sneaking up behind me. He seemed to like it when people were scared of him. "Why?"

"Well gee, I'm sorry to say that I do not know. Why don't you ask her yourself?" Another thing, Frank didn't like me. At all. I rolled my eyes at his back as he was walking away and Alexsandra laughed.

"Well, I guess I gotta go see what Cath-- er, I mean, what Dr. Morsie wants."

"Alright." Alexsandra sighed, "I guess we're just gonna have to go shopping later."

"Don't you dare try to guilt trick me, Lex." I said, standing up and walking toward the door, "It's not like I have a choice!"

"I'm not guilt tricking you." Alexsandra, "I'm just stating the facts!"

"Whatever you say!" I yelled back. I walked down the familiar halls until I reached Cathleen's office. Strangely, she was waiting for me outside.

"Good morning, Sage." she said, "I suppose you are wondering why I have you here so early in the morning. Well, I was too excited for this next session to wait. Shall we get started?"

Something about her excitement scared me. "We shall." I said anyway. We walked into her office and the first thing I noticed was the pure black vial sitting on her desk. Black, the color of fear. I took in a breath, That vial contains Fear Three.

Lex has told me about the serum. She got to Fear Three and got so scared that she had a panic attack. She had to go all the way to the beginning. Now she hasn't even gotten past Fear One for the fear of reaching Fear Three again.

"Ah," Cathleen said, "I see young Alexsandra has told you about her experience with the Fear Three serum. Well, let me just tell you that if you are afraid of the serum the effects of it will be greater."

I took the serum and popped off the cap, "I'm not afraid of any old serum." I said, and drank the whole bottle. It was like drinking hot tar. It tasted like blood and iron.

"Ready?" Cathleen asked, and pressed the cursed button on her holograph.

I woke up in a dark room. I couldn't see my hand if it were placed right in front of my face. It didn't bother me though. If anything, it was comforting. I knew these simulations. Nothing would happen if I didn't do anything. I started walking blindly in one direction, hoping that there was nothing in this room.

Suddenly, a blinding light flickered on, spotlighting a desk. I walked up to the desk and realized that there was a single object sitting on it. A pistol. I stared at it. Am I supposed to be afraid of this? I thought, picking it up, 'Cause I'm not.

Just then, another light flickered on, this time illuminating a chair. Sitting in the chair, tied down so they couldn't move, sat a woman whose face I wouldn't miss anywhere.

"Mom?" I muttered breathlessly. I was about to run up to her, when I felt something cold press against my temple. "Shoot her." A rough voice said. I froze. This seems terribly familiar...