𝟑𝟖 | 𝐬𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝.

Even without a physical wall to separate one another, you could still sense a divide

For the first time, the Scouts and the Warriors were gathered in one space, without it being a literal war. Deep in the middle of a thick forest, both parties took up either side of a spacious clearing, eyeing each-other down cautiously.

And then there was you, sitting in the middle.

You could feel the tension weigh down on your shoulders like heavy bricks. Nobody uttered a word, could barely move an inch without someone's eyes falling on you. It felt like everyone was just waiting for the slightest wrong action to bring down all hell.

Hange must've felt it too because they were the first to say something. "Would you guys stop glaring at each other and lend me a hand? I could use a few more potatoes."

Hange sat across the circle from you, cutting slices of carrots into a bubbling pot of stew sitting over a well-lit fire. A heavily-bandaged Levi was just behind them, laying in a broken wooden wagon as he slept soundly.

And of course, nobody moved to help them.

"Hmph." Commander Magath grunted in reply, "To think we'd all be sitting around a campfire, sharing a meal like old friends, after all the time we spent trying to kill each other." Magath took another look across the clearing to the Scouts, "I'm curious though. What made you change your minds? You'll get the world you want if you just let Eren Jaeger finish what he started. A paradise for all you island devils."

Neither of the Scouts said anything, only staring the man down in distaste.

"We were so close to keeping Eren and Zeke from making contact. We had everything planned from start to finish." Magath said, "Our only flaw was not including the fact that you'd be able to turn one of our own against us. The Spiked Titan, at that."

Magath then turned to you, eyeing you with a look that could only be described as a disappointed father. You hung your head down to avoid his eyes, fiddling with the sparse blades of grass on the ground. Reuniting with the commander and Pieck after going all-out against them in battle just the day before was awkward, to say the least. Though you weren't sure why you were embarrassed. It's not like Magath's approval was something you yearned for.