85

" Maa...!" Bondita exclaimed as she saw her mother join them in the varandah. Aniruddh turned to Sumati, with a surprised smile. He approached her to greet her as Bondita came running to hug her. Though Sumati smiled at her daughter, her eyes were fixed to that handkerchief resting on Aarti's cheek as she wiped her face.

" Sorry Maa..." Aniruddh spoke. " Can't bend for your blessings today."

" Oh no no Jamai Babu. Don't say that ! I am just so relieved to see you alright. Bondita told you had woken up over the telephone, I wanted to see you...so we came running."

" We ? " Aniruddh asked. " Is... Thakuma here too ?" He didn't seem very exited about it but Sumati noticed the lack of pure distaste he used to harbour for Thakuma.

" No. I came with Tapur. She too wanted to meet you. Thakuma was not at home. We came with a driver." Sumati could have come alone but leaving her in a house alone with a man like Chandrachur didn't feel safe. Tupur was no help and Rimjhim was a fool. Besides, Tapur too wanted to see her favourite Jamai Babu.

It was then that they noticed Tapur standing quitely at the door. " Tapur...!!! " Bondita ran to hug her. Aniruddh smiled looking at Bondita so excited. He still was looking for ways to punish Bondita but for now he could let her be. Just for now.

Aarti left and everyone sat chatting in slight afternoon breeze. Bondita, Batuk, Tapur sat giggling as Sumati and Trilochan made small talk. Aniruddh had his place on both the parties. Sampoorna did feel a little out of place but she knew why that was.

" Bondita..." Sumati followed Bondita as she got up to call Bihari.

" Ji maa ?"

" What happened ?"

" Nothing. I was going to ask Bhari Babu to get us some sharbat." And she placed her order as Bihari came and then left.

" Aarti..." Sumati started.

" Oh...you know her ? You met her that day right ? I came to know."

" Yes..."

" She helped Pati Babu that night..." Bondita was saying while smiling.

" Did...Jamai Babu tell you anything about that night ?"

" No maa. He didn't get the time. But I will talk to him about it. I want to know.. what he went... through." The doctor's words rang in her ears when he gave a brief account of his situation that night.

" And... does she visit often. Aarti ?"

" No maa. Just these three days. Otherwise hardly. "

" You mean...after accident, she has been visiting often."

" Yes maa. These are the times that bring people closer. Such a thing happened, it sort of tied us together." The smile on her face sank Sumati's heart as her words made her horrified. 'Tied together ' . Using such expressions for her husband and another woman ? Her daughter...was foolish.

" Did Jamai Babu say something like that ?" Sumati grabbed her left upper arm." That he felt tied to her ?"

" What ? No maa. He never said such things." The pressure on her hand told her that her mother was taking things wrong. " I didn't mean it in any wrong way maa. Just...that they can be friends..."

Sumati left her arm. The level of naive her daughter was had her head spinning. Maybe it was some educated stuff. Openly talking of men and women being friends. Or that her daughter was still not that grown up. " What was she doing here today ?"

" She came to meet Pati Babu." And that was not bothering her ?

" You !" Sumati did feel she was overthinking this because Sampoorna said stupid things to her. But...then she saw Aarti here again today. Taking that piece of cloth from her Jamai Babu. Her eyes were fixed on him. She looked at her daughter who had yet not fully bloomed into a woman. Woman like Aarti. Aarti was beautiful, taller and definitely closer to Jamai Babu's age. Her thoughts, no doubt, more matured than her little daughter. A man...with no proper marriage. A loveless marriage... could...fall...
No. No...Jamai Babu won't... He won't do that again. She had seen the growth in him. She had seen him repent his decision when he had come to take her permission for a second marriage. If she could be honest with herself...she didn't know why he took her permission. He could have married someone else. She would have been a little sad for her daughter but...she knew he won't leave Bondita. And for her small, uneducated views...that was enough. She had seen it with her eyes under what circumstances he had married her daughter. The look on his face on the day of the wedding. The complete broken man he had become when he had taken her daughter in his fancy chariot and...flew away. It was a boon for her daughter but...a bane for him who was returning with a wife to a place where his beloved betrothed sat waiting for him.