Chapter Twenty

LYRA
________

If it wasn't for Alexander's arms around my waist steadying me, I would have fallen in to the sofa. But he sat by my side and pulled me on to his lap, rocking me gently.

"It's okay," he cooed softly, rubbing my back smoothly. "You're going to heal soon. Just bare with me for a couple of minutes. Please, Lyra."

His words hardly made sense to me, but I was furious.

My neck felt hot and there was a burning sensation that radiated throughout my body.
I could feel myself shivering and a temperature coming on, but the dripping wetness on my neck was my only focus.

"I'm dying," I told Alexander, my breath hitched. I was struggling to stay awake.

"You aren't dying, baby. You're already healing," he told me. "I'm sorry for hurting you."

I wasn't sure what was happening, but at his words, I could physically feel myself improving.

In a matter of minutes, all the symptoms that I had felt had disappeared. There was no temperature, and the wetness feeling was gone.

Glaring at my mate, I snapped, "What the hell? Were you trying to kill me too?"

Alexander frowned. "What?"

"Oh, please. What other reason is there for biting me?" I asked, pointing at my neck in horror.

My mate actually had the audacity to crack a smile. "I was not trying to kill you. I could never do that. You're mine."

I gave him a bored look. "Then explain this!"

"I marked you," he explained. "My mark on you means we are connected as one now."

My brows furrowed at his words. I was aware of the marking tradition, but the fact that he had done it without asking for my permission— that angered me.

But before I could project the anger that I felt, my eyelids were becoming heavy and I found myself drowsy. This was not the time for me to lose consciousness. I had to proceed with Jaxon's plan. It could get us all out of here.

"Lyra," Alexander's voice, faintly rang in my ears. "Baby, look at me."

His words became more distant by the second, and just when I thought I was going to pass out, I felt completely fine again. It was the strangest experience, but I found myself snuggling in to my mate's arms.

Alexander was still calling my name, but at my action, he held me tightly in his arms. I could feel myself being carried, but I didn't open my eyes to see where he was taking me.

When my back touched the soft mattress beneath me, I realised he had taken me to bed— to his bed from the musky scent of his cologne. Alexander didn't join me.

Instead, he left. I pried my eyes open to find myself in his room, alone. Before I could think twice, my fingers trailed along my neck, feeling the slight bump where his mark was.

At the touch, a tingling feeling raced through me. I was craving for my mate's touch, and it made me emotional.

'I am sorry for leaving abruptly. I will be with you as soon as I can.'

My eyes widened at Alexander's voice in my head and I gasped in surprise.

'How can you do this?'

'I am really sorry, baby. I promise I will explain it more when I see you.'

'No. I mean, how can you communicate with me?'