Chapter Twenty Two

LYRA
________

The rest of the evening passed by fairly slowly, but I was grateful when no one bothered me.

I wasn't sure when I drifted off to sleep, but I woke up in the early hours of the morning, drenched in my own sweat. Another nightmare.

To cool myself down, I decided I should go for a run whilst it was still peaceful outside with not many Wolves around. Although, my Wolf also needed a run, I decided I would run in my human form. If I had to shift unexpectedly, I didn't really want to be naked. The thought alone made me uncomfortable.

Running in Pale Moon made me compare the land to the Silver Crescent. Meanwhile, the latter pack was full of vibrance and life, my current pack was mediocre and gloomy.

My run didn't seem to be helping the frustration that I felt, until I completely stunned myself at the destination that I had reached.

Glancing around in a panic, I narrowed my eyes at the guards searching the area. I was in the borders of Pale Moon. My Wolf wanted us to escape, I wanted us to escape.

But meanwhile, Jaxon had told me how to get out of Silver Crescent, I had no guidance on how to exit Pale Moon.

"Do not even think about it!"

At the sound of her voice, the sadness that I was feeling completely vanished. Instead, the frustration multiplied. Of course, if it had to be anyone, it would be her.

"What do you want, Alana?"

The girl scoffed. "I'm not stupid," she snapped. "You thought escaping would be that easy?"

I glared at her. "Don't you want me gone?"

Her brows rose at my question, she appeared surprised. "That is exactly what I want!"

Nodding toward the guards, I told her, "Then help me get out of here, you will never have to see me again."

My Wolf snarled inwardly, not appreciating the fact that I was asking, the girl that had made my life a living hell, for help.

Alana seemed to be considering my offer, but then she snarled.

"You're trying to get me in trouble!" she sneered. "First Jas and now you're trying to make me look bad too. You bitch!"

I sighed. Trying to reason with the girl had gone exactly the way I had expected it to. Impossible.

"I don't know what happened with Jas," I honestly told her. "You have to believe me. I don't want this, any of this!"

Alana chuckled, humourlessly. "You were always so ungrateful," she spat. "But don't worry, I will make sure the Alpha see's the real you."

Her words confused me and before I could question her, a loud commotion erupted in the field.

Panic struck me as I watched the crowd of Wolves surround us, but that wasn't all. When Gabriel stepped forward from the crowd, my breathing hitched.

"Alana, do you know how fucking early it is?" the Alpha bellowed at the girl until his eyes landed on me.

"You won't care about the time when you find out what is happening," Alana retorted, but quickly dipped her head in respect.

Gabriel stalked towards me. "Lyra? What are you doing here?"

Alana scoffed, but I couldn't speak. When Gabriel reached me, he took me in his arm and even so wrapped his jacket around me.

"You're shivering," he murmured, holding me tight. "Are you hurt? Did something happen?"

My eyes landed on the blonde girl in terror. We both wanted the same thing, how could she have done this?

The only sister figure that I had for the past two years, and the only time that I had asked for a favour. But she had completely ruined it. For the both of us.

"Alana, explain," the man beside me, demanded. "Why is my Luna so shaken?"

Alana growled, "Why else would I call you out here at this time? Do you think it's a coincidence that your Luna is by the border?"

I could feel the man beside me shift slightly, but he remained in place.

"What are you implying?" he asked, his voice cold.

"Her!" Alana shouted, pointing her finger at me. "She was going to escape but I stopped her, for you."

My eyes shut tight as the truth was revealed, but an idea quickly jumped to mind when Gabriel doubted Alana. I could tell him she was lying. He believed me, after all.

"Alana, I will not accept any accusations toward your Luna," Gabriel warned her, his arm around me tightening.

"She was going to escape, Alpha!"

"How do you know that!" Gabriel growled loudly.

"Because she asked me for help!" Alana shouted, throwing her hands in the air in frustration.

Gabriel finally seemed convinced. He turned me in his arms, his usual grey eyes were darker. I could feel his nails dig in to my skin.

"Lyra," he started saying. "Tell me the Wolf is lying. You weren't trying to escape, were you?"

"I, err...,"

But my voice trailed off. I was scared, and nervous, and a terrible liar. Gabriel snarled loudly in my face, his canines appearing. Before I could think twice, he had me pushed up against a tree, holding me in place.

"You were trying to escape back to that bastard who claimed you?"

When his hand on my neck limited the air that entered my lungs, I tried to push at his hands.

"Gabriel," I whispered.

"Tell me who is he? I'm going to kill him!"

When his hand around my neck tightened, a burning sensation erupted, making me scream out in pain. Gabriel loosened his hand around my neck, and glanced at me in confusion.

"What are you doing? Don't be dramatic, I hardly touched you!" he yelled.

The burning in my neck made me feel weak, and before I could even respond to Gabriel, I felt myself falling.

The man took me in his arms, and was shouting words that I couldn't quite decipher. I heard him yell something about taking me to the pack doctor. And just when I thought that's where he was going to take me, Gabriel stopped in his tracks.

"You are not taking her anywhere. Release her. Now!"

At the familiar voice, Gabriel dropped me in his arms and I could feel myself fall. I wasn't sure what was happening next, but my eyes shut as I prepared myself for the impact.