۵ Chapter 9 ۵ (The New Version)

Afternoon tea. Who could've guessed this would happen again? This time I hadn't been looking for anyone. Instead, what happened was entirely deliberate. While I was hanging around at the beach with Sonic and Knuckles, Cubot and Orbot appeared and invited me over here for tea. They didn't give me any explanation and neither did the doctor himself after I arrived.

For a while, we debated about the whole invisible barrier situation. It doesn't seem like Eggman has any idea what it could be, as he doesn't think he has ever dealt with anything like it before. And of course, by before he means the time before this island. I did try to inquire more about his life back then, but he'd quickly throw the conversation around to me.

Right now, our conversation couldn't be further from the island. "You also make these yourself?" I take a cookie from a platter on the table. Or I guess that because we're drinking tea they should be referred to as biscuits.

"Like nearly everything else here," he nods.

Somehow it surprises me. Maybe it's because the cookies are actually good and not terrible like the last batch of cookies he had made. Or the fact that he somehow finds time to bake cookies as well as tend gardens or whatever. He does have a bunch of robots that probably do most of the work, but it is interesting that he has devoted time to all this other stuff.

"You could probably make a fortune by selling these. And considering you have all the bots you wouldn't have to pay for employees," I state and bite into the cookie.

He chuckles, "I probably would."

I fully expect him to go on and add something, but he doesn't. So far, during this nearly two-hour long tea session, I've managed to keep the conversation going and the leaving awkward silences to a minimum. It's a wonder too that I've found enough topics to keep the conversation going. However, as I'm now realizing, I seem to be running out of them.

"Thanks for inviting me by the way," I state.

Eggman gulps the rest of his drink and glances over to me while placing his cup on the table, "Oh, it's nothing. It's actually quite refreshing to have new face around here."

In response I simply nod. That's probably the first time ever someone's said it's refreshing to have me around. Though it's very likely Sonic has said something like that. He seems to have a tendency of being the first one to say whatever to me. Well, first one here.

"You ever feel like changing teams, I'm always open for a lab assistant," the doctor says without a warning.

I turn to him slightly surprised by the random statement. Glancing away I chuckle, "Yeah I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon."

"Worth a try," he shrugs.

"Umm..." I look hoping to find any ideas for a possible conversation. My gaze picks up something in the corner of the ceiling. A security camera. "So how are those upgrades to the security working. Or whatever it was, defenses. You clean them already?"

"There really hasn't been anything to defend from yet, but I expect them to work well. It took Orbot and Cubot a few days to get them cleaned and another couple for me to get them running again," he replies.

I reach for my cup and ask, "What do you really even need defenses for? It's not like anyone ever attacks here. Most of the time it's just one of your own bots causing the mess."

"It's an evil lair! Of course it needs some protection," the doctor tells me as I finish my tea.

I squint my eyes, "Yeah but, from what?"

"What do you think? That vicious hedgehog!" he says, and I chuckle at his choice of words.

"But why? It's not like he ever attacks here," I remind him even though I'm certain he doesn't need the reminder.