FORTY TWO

Word Count: 2325

*Mature Content Warning - Read At Your Own Discretion!*

~Avia

Kit arrived a few days later, much to the dismay of everyone in the manor.

Mercifully, I haven't seen him all day, keeping to myself. However, dinner time has come around, and I've been summoned to the dining room. I wish I didn't have to see him until the moment I can kill him, but Isaiah wants to announce me as his mistress so his father won't speculate about any affection we show toward each other.

Striding into the dining room, I take my seat next to Isaiah, opposite Kit. Cherry and Zire are here, but Elise has finally departed home for a short period of time before the wedding.

"Kit, it's good to see you," I muse, forcing a tight smile upon my lips.

"You too Kenna. How is your father?" He asks, brazenly looking over me. I can feel Isaiah stiffen watching his father, but I quickly nudge his leg with my foot under the table, not wanting him to reveal his anger right now.

I summon a calm breath. "Doing well."

"Really? I heard he was sick," he muses, frowning. I can't tell if he's baiting me, or if he is genuinely concerned. He doesn't know who I truly am...He can't.

"Aside from that, of course," I murmur.

"Come, let's eat," Isaiah encourages.

For a beautiful few minutes, there's only silence as everyone eats. I want out of here as soon as possible. I don't know how long Kit intends to stay, but the longer he does, the harder it will be for me to hold myself back from saying something from him, or even from doing something to him.

"So, Isaiah, I've returned in hopes of a wedding," he says. Isaiah already knows this. Kit is saying it to get to me, to make me hear it and hurt, because he see's what is happening between his son and I, no matter how hard we try to hide it.

Isaiah sighs. "Can we not put it off?"

"Why? There is more political upheaval than ever. We need to present a unified front," he reasons. I glance at Isaiah, knowing that the rebellion he is involved in is a lot of the reason the Pack is fluctuating in their political alliance.

"I know-"

"Tell me this isn't about Kenna," Kit deadpans. I freeze, as everyone's eyes shift to me, making me flush crimson. I've always been the topic Kit wanders around, not wanting to make the connection between Isaiah and I obvious, so it's jarring hearing him bring it up like this, in such a public setting.

"No, she's my mistress, not my lover," Isaiah says slowly. I swallow uncomfortably, looking down at my half eaten food on my plate, which suddenly appears incredibly unappetising.

Kit doesn't even bother to hide his relief. "You take after me, son."

Isaiah suddenly rests his hand on my thigh, under the table. I hold back my flinch, raising a cautious brow at him, but he doesn't acknowledge it. His fingers splayed out across my bare thigh feels nice, but I can't relax, with everyone else at the table.

"So it would seem," Isaiah murmurs, hand drifting up slightly higher, disappearing under the hem of my dress. I'm tense, unable to concentrate on anything other than the way his fingers gently caress my skin in slow, purposeful passes.

"Once you are married, you will have to consider children next," Kit says. Usually that would make my stomach turn, but it's so busy fluttering from Isaiah's touch.

His fingers continue upward, brushing right up close to my panty line. I should yank his hand away, but I'm so overwhelmed by the pleasurable feeling, and so transfixed by Isaiah's neutral expression, that I can't bring myself to want to.