Chapter 17

It was silent the next morning, all that could be heard was the silverware clanking against the plates. Each of us were stuck in our heads assessing the problem at hand.
"What are we going to do?" Anthony asked. But there was nothing we could do.
"The question we should be asking is what will he do if he sees Lynn." Michael said glaring harshly down at his plate.
"I will just have to be careful, I'll make sure to close the store early and park the car closer to the store." I said no louder than a whisper.
"But what if he comes to the shop?" Anthony fired at me.
"McKenna will there, he wouldn't hurt me with other people around." That seemed to have satisfied both of them because they physically relaxed their tensed muscles and leaned more into their chair. Conversation ended after that.
I was completely on edge at the shop, I continually looked over my shoulder and even though it was bright outside I had all the lights on in the store. McKenna could sense my uneasiness and kept trying to lighten the mood with jokes and small talk but nothing worked. I was stuck in the little shop, Michael and Anthony took my car to go buy one of their own, with the money they had saved up in their bank accounts they have enough to buy a car. They came by with the new car after three o'clock, it was a 2000 fire red Pontiac, it was in great condition and they bought it for a great price. After that they left, and it was just McKenna and I again. As the sun was hanging low in the sky and the clouds were turning a pinky orange McKenna left, her dad got in an accident and she needed to go to the hospital. Now I was alone, I locked the doors and closed the blinds but that didn't hide the sound of the sudden change of weather that went from sunny and peaceful to a storm. The wind was howling outside, whistling threw the trees, the rain was pelting on the roof and flooding the gutters. The lights kept flickering while I was in my office, it was six o'clock and I needed to go home, I gathered my stuff I closed the office door and locked it, then I turned around. My eyes were trained on the door as I quickly walked towards it, then the lights went out completely, I stopped in my tracks trying to get my eyes adjusted to the darkness. I took in a shaky breath and as I was taking a step forward a hand closed around my mouth and an arm circled my waist.
"Hello Lynn, it's been a long time." The sickening sly voice of Scott said whispering in my ear. My breathing was coming out in short puffs as I tried to control my beating heart, I wanted to tell him to let go and leave but the lump that was forming in my throat prevented any noise to escape.
"Why are you not answering me? Do I scare you Lynn?" He was mocking me, he knew he scared me. I struggled in his embrace but all he did was make a tisking noise and pull me closer to his body, the pressure on my ribs was becoming painful and it made it even harder to breathe.
"Now, now let's not make this difficult." He growled in my ear, his hand lifted off my mouth slowly making sure I wouldn't scream.
"What do you want?" I tried to keep my voice firm and steady but it cracked at the end of my sentence. I could feel his smirk on his lips as he answered.
"I thought it was obvious." He said putting his hands on my shoulders, he spun me around so that I was facing him.
"I am here to ruin your life." He snarled at me, my confidence suddenly began to bubble inside me and I pointed an accusing finger at him and bravely looked him in the eyes.
"You already ruined my life. The moment I met you. All you did was build me up then tare me down and beat me into rubble. But I won't let you do it again." I made my voice as deathly and as hard as I could make it, Scott knew how serious I was but it didn't faze him, he shot his hand out and grippe my wrist, his fingers curled around my wrist and squeezed it. I felt immediate intense pain, tears stung at my eyes and I desperately tried to pry my wrist out of his hold.
"Remember this Marilynn, you cannot run away from me, you cannot hide. It may take 6 months or 6 years but I will always find you. And the more you run the harsher your punishments will be." With his final statement I heard the snap before I felt the sharp and agonizing pain shoot through my arm, tears were falling down my face and through them I could see a sadistic smile on Scott's face, he loved seeing me like this, he loved seeing me in pain that he has afflicted on me. He dropped my wrist an I held it to my chest whimpering and sobbing.
"Until we meet again Lynn." As he walked out I knew that was a promise and a threat he means to keep.