Act XII

"Hey, Liz," Jimmy said, drawing out his sister's name as he peeped into her bedroom.

She was sitting upright in her loft bed with a book in hand and only her lamp on to light up the room. It was well after nine and they were the only two in the house still up.

Looking up from her book, Lizzie's eyes smiled tiredly when they landed on Jimmy. "What's up?" she asked as she placed her place marker in her book and closed it.

Jimmy opened the door a bit more and leaned against the doorframe. "I know you're not the biggest fan of Scott, but..." He sighed. "He wants to meet me at the diner down the street from the school tomorrow."

Lizzie quirked an eyebrow.

"Dad can't take me 'cause he's working tomorrow," Jimmy continued. "Will you drive me?"

The pinkette sighed. "You know what? Sure," she said. "But, only because I know you won't leave me alone if I don't."

Either way, Jimmy couldn't help the smile that spread across his lips. "Thanks, Lizzie!"

She chuckled. "You're welcome, Jimmy."

Closing Lizzie's bedroom door behind him, Jimmy left to retire to his own room for the night. Unfortunately, sleep didn't come easy for him. He spent a majority of the night tossing and turning, trying to find a comfortable position while he thought nervously about his and Scott's date the next day.

Date? No, it wasn't a date. Was it? They were only going for lunch and talking, right? Just Jimmy and Scott... together... at a diner... alone... just the two of them... No, Scott has a boyfriend. It's not a date. Just... hanging out. Yeah. They were just hanging out. Nothing else.

But... what if it was a date? What if Scott broke up with Zach and is asking me out and- Stop it, there's no way he broke up with Zach.

He sighed, throwing his forearm over his eyes. Why can't I just sleep?

His eyes closed and brain running a thousand kilometers a second, Jimmy could now only think about if this was a date. What if Scott tells me that he likes me back? What if he asks me to be his boyfriend? What if- what if he kisses me?

Woah.

Jimmy shot straight up, surprised at the thought. He felt warmth flood his face as he entertained the thought, imagining what it would feel like to press his lips to Scott's, to pull Scott in by the waist and hold him.

And I thought hoping he would break up with Zach was shooting too far over the moon...

Sighing, Jimmy laid back down, this time covering his head with a pillow. Just go to sleep, Jim, he told himself. Just go to sleep.

And he did, eventually. Not without the thought of Scott on his mind, however.

"Hey, Jimmy," Scott says, smiling, as I walk into the diner. It isn't very busy. In fact, it isn't busy at all. Nobody but Scott and I are here. Not even any workers...

"Hi," I reply nonetheless, walking over to the booth that Scott is sitting at. It's the back corner booth, a seat by the window, and the beautiful golden sunlight seems to hit Scott's eyes just right, making them almost glow. "How are you?"

His smile widens, and I can't help the flush of pink that rushes to my face at the sight. "I'm doing well," he says. He reaches over the table to hold my hands in his, and, gosh, does his touch feel heavenly. "What about you, darling?"

I freeze up a moment, flustered when he called me that. Darling. I shake myself out of my thoughts and, clearing my throat, answer, "I'm good."

He hums in response before leaning forward. I reciprocate the action, closing the gap between us a bit more.