Act XIII

You guys really didn't like that cliffhanger, huh? Well, wait no more, and enjoy this chapter!

* * *

Jimmy shifted nervously, staring down at their touching hands. "Wh-what about us?" he asked, wincing as he voice cracked, though Scott either didn't even notice or hid very well that he did.

Scott let out an exasperated huff. "I lied when I said I don't want to hang out with you anymore," he said straightforwardly, tightening his delicate grip on Jimmy's hands. He leaned forward as he said, "I want to spend time with you and get to know you, more than you know, I just-" He paused as he looked off to the side and relaxed. "I don't know how," he said finally, and Jimmy couldn't tell if the noise he let out after was a sob or a sigh. "There's- there's so much happening, and-" Scott groaned, pulling his hands back, and buried his face into his forearms over the table. "I'm an awful person for wanting this so badly," he mumbled, most of the sound muffled into his sleeves. Jimmy wasn't sure if he was supposed to hear that bit, but wanted to question it either way.

Scott needs help, doesn't he? Jimmy reasoned with himself as he contemplated asking. Why not be that help he needs?

Sighing, Jimmy began with asking the question, "What do you mean, you're an awful person?"

Scott looked up at Jimmy through wet eyelashes, and Jimmy relaxed a bit - not because Scott was crying, but because he was right in assuming that Scott needed help. And he seemed to actually want it, as well.

"Scott?"

Huffing, the latter shoved his face back into his arms. "I'm an awful person for wanting-" he cut himself off to sniffle, "-for wanting you," he said. "I want to be with you, so badly. You have no idea how much just the thought of you makes me smile, and-" Jimmy felt heat rush to his face as his cheeks turned a bright red, Scott now sitting upright and wiping at his eyes. "I can't even be with you. I- I'm not even allowed to be here right now, and- and I'm a terrible boyfriend to Zach, and a horrible friend to you 'cause I've said so many awful things about you, and I-" He held onto Jimmy's hands again. "I am so sorry, and I promise that I never meant any of it-"

"It's fine," Jimmy interrupted. "I... I think I understand your situation, and-"

"What?" Scott looked terrified. "Wait, what do you mean, you understand my situation?"

Jimmy quirked a brow. "I mean, he's mean to you, isn't he?" Scott hesitated a moment, looking behind Jimmy before nodding. "Then, yeah, I have a pretty good idea of what's going on."

"Dammit, I figured you saw," Scott grumbled, laying his head down in his arms again, though didn't hide his eyes from Jimmy. "Please, don't tell Mr. Harding and Ms. Gold about it," he begged quietly. "I only made it as a last resort, and-"

"Tell them about what?" Jimmy asked, tilting his head to the side like a confused puppy.

Now confused himself, Scott lifted his head up. "What? I thought-" He shook his head. "You said you knew about my... situation," the cyanette said. "You- you saw the-" He stopped, his eyes widening. "You weren't talking about backstage, you were talking about Zach..."

Jimmy's eyebrows furrowed. "I'm kind of lost here," he said. "What about backstage?"

Scott shook his head again, trying to play off his misinterpretation by laughing. "It- it's nothing. Just forget about it."

"Well, you've worried me now," Jimmy persisted. "What happened backstage?"

Scott froze for a second before picking up the menu on the table and covering his face with it. "We should probably start looking at things to order, you know?" He let out a nervous chuckle, sliding down in his seat a bit.