Act XVIII

Warning for strong language! Like, really strong language

*   *   *

"So, where did you want to go?" Jimmy asked, sitting on the edge of one of the sinks of the bathroom as Scott got the last of the paint, glue, and glitter off of his hands. The blonde swung his feet back and forth while he watched Scott shrug.

"I dunno," the cyanette answered. He turned off the water and shook his hands gently over the sink. "But I'm starving, and I need to drop by the corner store across the street from the Moonshine Family Diner."

Jimmy hummed. "Well, do you wanna grab some dinner there?" he asked.

Scott smiled up at him. "How generous of you to offer," he said jokingly, drying his hands. "Perhaps, you'll even offer to pay?"

Laughing, Jimmy nodded. "Sure," he said. "I've got a buck or two in my wallet." He winked at Scott, who giggled in response. "What do you need to go to the store for?"

"Mmm, you'll see." Before Jimmy had a chance to ask any more questions, Scott grabbed his bag and tossed it over his shoulder. "You ready?"

Jimmy nodded. "Yeah, I just have to go tell Liz she doesn't have to drive me home."

"Alright. I'll be waiting outside."

*   *   *

"Oh my god, that smells great," Scott said as Pearl set a plate of Lyonnaise potatoes in front of him. He took in a deep whiff of it, humming in satisfaction at the wonderful scent. "Pearl, you're an amazing chef."

The comment earned a giggle from Pearl as she gave Jimmy his salad. "Why, thank you," she said, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "I'm a little bit of a professional."

Jimmy looked up at Pearl. "You look familiar," he said, not realizing he was talking out loud until Pearl looked over at him. "Have I seen you before?"

She gave him a soft smile. "I go to your school," she answered. "I'm the nurse in the play."

"Oh! That makes so much more sense now!" Why didn't I realize before that Pearl Moonshine would work at the Moonshine Family Diner?

Pearl laughed. "Enjoy your meals, boys," she said, and then she was back in the kitchen to work on other orders.

Scott hummed in delight when he shoved a forkful of his food in his mouth. "Ugh, I absolutely love her cooking," he said. "I need her to cook for me every night."

Jimmy snickered. "Ditto."

They ate in comfortable silence for a while bdfore Scott put his fork down and spoke, "Tell me something about yourself."

Jimmy looked up from his plate and put his own fork down. "Hm..." He leaned foward, crossing his arms over the table. "Uh, I like strawberry ice cream," he began, "especially with hot fudge and sprinkles, I like to cook with my dad and sister, and..." He paused to think for a moment. "And I used to take guitar lessons."

Scott's eyes lit up. "Woah, really?" he asked. "I used to take guitar lessons, too! Well, until I dropped guitar for piano. But... I haven't been able to play either of those in a while. Sometimes Ms. Gold lets me play the piano in the choir room, but..." He sighed. "But that's cool. And you cook, huh?" Scott nudged Jimmy's foot under the table with his own, smiling and winking. "I'm going to be honest, you seem like someone who wouldn't be allowed in the kitchen because you'll burn it down."