Act XX

Trigger Warning for implications/mentioning of suicidal thoughts and self-harm! Please stay safe when reading <3 It isn't graphically detailed or anything and there's no blood or genuine sh, just the thought of it, but this is just a warning so you know what you're getting into! Again, please be safe while you're reading, loves!

*   *   *

"Hey, Dad," Jimmy called to his father as he and Scott walked down the stairs.

"Yeah, kiddo?" Daniel said back.

Jimmy turned around the corner, Scott close behind. "Can Sco-"

"Hold on, I did not give you permission to do that to your hair," Daniel said seriously as he set the towel he was drying his hands with down on the counter. "You're lucky your friend is here, or you'd be grounded."

Jimmy gasped. "What? But-"

"Jim, I'm all for having freedom to do what you want with your body," Daniel said, "but I want you to tell me about these things before you do them." He sighed. "Next time, let me know, okay?"

Jimmy nodded, looking in the opposite direction of Scott out of embarrassment. "Right. Sorry."

"Please don't get mad at him," Scott said, and Jimmy did look up now. "It was my idea, and I told him it was fine-"

Daniel smiled at Scott, mouthing "Thank you." He took a deep breath, and turned to Lizzie, who was peering into the oven. "How are they looking?" he asked.

"They look great," Lizzie said as she closed the oven. "For our first time making macaroons, I'm pretty sur-" she paused when she saw Jimmy, "-prised..." A small smile formed on her lips. "Look at you. Did Scott do your hair?"

Jimmy nodded hesitantly.

"He did an amazing job," Lizzie said. "I might have to hire him to do mine next."

Daniel chuckled as he turned to Jimmy. "What was your question, kiddo?" he asked, referring to what Jimmy was going to ask when he came downstairs.

"Oh, uh, I was wondering if Scott can spend the night," Jimmy said shyly. "I have some clothes that are too small for me that he can borrow as night clothes."

Daniel looked between the two boys. "Well... I don't see why not," he said, and Jimmy and Scott looked at each other with excited expressions. "But you two have school in the morning, so don't stay up too late, alright?"

Jimmy and Scott both nodded before scurrying off back to Jimmy's bedroom.

Grian poked his head out of his room once they were gone. "Seriously?" he said, and Daniel sighed.

"It's only fair of me to give Scott a chance, Grian," the man said. "I've never met him before, and Jimmy seems to enjoy hanging out with him. Just wait and see. Perhaps he's a good kid after all."

Grian only responded by rolling his eyes and going back into his room.

"Father," Lizzie said in a hushed voice, stealing her father's attention. "Let him be. He'll get over it at some point. Just... I think he's having a difficult time trying to adjust to living with us."

Daniel nodded. "I figured. He's been pretty irritable lately, hasn't he?"

"Yeah..."

*   *   *

"How is your hair so soft?" Jimmy asked, bewildered as he ran his hands through Scott's hair in an attempt to braid it.

Scott had agreed to let Jimmy play with his hair since he'd spent about 2 and a half hours messing with Jimmy's.

Shrugging, Scott answered, "I use special conditioner because I dye my hair so much. I guess that's why."