[6] If You Love Me Let Me Go

"Buck, it's fine." YN insisted, picking up her case as Torres waited by the door of the plane, the lights illuminating it in the dark night. "He woke up a few hours ago, I'll go back and see if he's okay. You continue on."

"YN-" YN gave him a stern look, the brunette knowing that she would argue until she was blue in the face. "If you're sure-"

"It's Steve we're talking about here, he'll pull through. This mission is important, it needs to be priority." Sam stood back from the arguing pair, his lips pursed and arms crossed. He was reading YN's expression easily, and she didn't believe a word she was saying, yet Sam allowed it, not wanting to call her out on it.

"You'll call me, though, if anything changes?" YN smiled, placing a hand on Bucky's arm. Nodding her head, she whispered something to him that Sam didn't quite catch, but he knew that whatever it was put Bucky at ease, as his shoulders dropped with his head, a small nod making YN sigh sadly.

"See you when I get back," YN nodded to Sam who sent her a smirk. "Don't kill each other before then."

"Anyone would think you cared, Rogers?" Sam chuckled.

"Nah, I just want to make sure I can place a bet first." The door to the jet closed as Bucky and Sam shook their head in faux annoyance. The stepped away as it rolled away, picking up speed and taking off, leading the woman super solider away and back toward America.

"Alright," Bucky sighed, running a hand through his short brown hair. "She won't land for another eight hours, that gives us time to recoup in the morning-"

"Hold up," Sam said, holding up a hand that the brunette scowled at. "You said there was someone I had to meet." Bucky screwed up his face as Sam raised a brow. "C'mon, man. You got some explaining to do."

---------------------------------

YN inhaled deeply as she stood outside the hospital room, her hands shaking as she tried to remain in control of her emotions. Stepping in, YN's once calm heart started beating erratically as she spotted Steve, sitting up and looking deathly pale, staring out the window to his right.

"Hey, Stevie." YN whispered, coming to his side and placing a hand on top of his.

"Hey, YN." He replied, wincing as he shifted in the bed. "You didn't have to come-"

"Are you kidding?" YN scoffed, earning a small smile from Steve. "Look at you, you could have-" YN swallowed, closing her eyes. "I should never have left you alone." Steve shook his head, placing a hand on hers, making her look up to meet his blue eyes.

"You know this isn't your fault, it's inevitable." YN frowned at the words, unable to fully process what her older brother was saying. "YN, you know what's coming."

Shaking her head, YN got to her feet quickly. "No," she refused. "Don't say that. The nurses said you were okay-"

"For now." Steve reminded her, trying to keep his voice as soft as possible. "YN, I'm nearly one-hundred and six." YN's eyes filled with tears as her brother kept talking. "You have to come to terms with what that means..."

Turning her back, the woman lifted a hand to cover her mouth, silencing the sobs that tore from her throat. "Don't say that, please." She pleaded quietly. "You're the only family I have left." Steve sighed, leaning his head back against the pillow. He watched YN's back straighten and he knew what was coming, he knew his sister and he knew what she was like when she was upset. "You never should have gone back." She sneered, tears dripping over her chin as she turned back to him.

"If you'd just stayed with us, stayed with me ,this wouldn't be happening. You could have grown old with your family, you could have watched me grow old. We could have... have done normal sibling things together." YN sobbed, sniffing loudly. "Please don't leave me, Stevie, I can't... I can't do that again." YN cried, falling to Steve's bedside as the older super soldier bit his lip, tipping his head back to stop his own tears from falling. He placed a hand on the back of YN's head as she sobbed into his bed sheets.

"YN, I know this is hard for you to admit. But you know this isn't about me leaving you. I never left you, I just needed-"

"I know," YN murmured, her hand searching to find his wrinkled one. "I never should have said that, I'm sorry." Steve nodded as YN turned her head. "I just don't want to go through what I went through back then. I had no one." Steve nodded, running a hand through his sister's hair.

"I know, sweetheart, but it won't be like that again. You'll know I was happy, I am happy. I have you by my side and I know you have Bucky and Sam. Clint is still out there as well, Pepper, Rhodey. You know there are people here for you."

"But they aren't you." YN mumbled, her tears still falling steadily but her sobbing now under control. "No one matters to me like you do Steve."

YN ended up falling asleep in a chair by Steve's bed as the older super soldier watched her with a sad smile. The reality was, Steve knew that he was on his last legs, he could feel it with every move he made. The nurses had been kind enough to let him be the one to tell his sister, knowing she would have crumbled into a mess and most likely avoided even stepping foot into the room, and he knew she would have regretted that when the worst did happen. Sighing again, he lifted his phone to his ear, waiting for the familiar voice to meet his ears.

"Steve?" Bucky answered quickly, most likely surprised Steve even knew how to make a phone call. "You okay, pal?"

"Yeah, Buck." Steve responded. "Listen, are you busy? I know you're on this mission, but is there anyway you guys can get to New York-"

"Yeah, of course." Steve could already hear the slight panic in his best friend's voice. "We will get a jet organized, are you okay? Is YN with you?" Steve smiled at the concern.

"She's asleep in a chair, at the moment." Steve chuckled, pulling the phone away to release a hoarse cough that made YN groan and move into a less uncomfortable position. "I just think she will need you guys." Steve whispered, watching YN cautiously for any sign of consciousness.

Bucky inhaled quickly, hating what Steve was insinuating. "Okay," Bucky breathed. "Okay we will be there by morning." Steve nodded, letting his head fall back and his eye flutter closed. "Hey Steve?" Steve responded quietly. "Hold on? Okay?"

"Of course, Buck."

Sam and Bucky sat in silence on the jet, both of them weighing on the thoughts of what they were going to walk into in New York. They had been on their way to see Bucky's 'someone' when he had gotten the call, and at first, Sam was frustrated that the super soldier was once again stalling what he was hiding, but once he'd heard Bucky's tone and words, he'd known what was happening.

"YN isn't going to handle this very well." Bucky spoke up, gaining Sam's attention, who had been staring at the floor intensely. Sam raised a brow, silently urging his to continue. "She probably will need someone with her-"

"Bucky, the mission can wait, what's important right now is Steve and YN." Bucky nodded, looking down to his hands briefly. "Are you alright, man? I know Steve is like family to you as well." Bucky chewed the side of his cheek, avoiding the question when he tipped his head back as if he was going to sleep. "All right," Sam sighed, mimicking the soldiers action. "Just know I'm here for you."