Chapter Twenty Nine

LYRA
________

It was afternoon by the time Alexander and I entered the kitchen. Ava was plopped on the sofa, switching through the channels on the TV.

She was cleaned up, and looked a lot healthier compared to how I had seen her before. I was glad.

When her eyes landed on us, she dropped the remote on to the coffee table and hopped in our direction.

"Finally," she muttered, rolling her eyes. "I thought I was going to starve waiting for you."

My mate narrowed his eyes at her. "I was not planning on killing you for feeding yourself."

I snorted, but Ava gaped at me.

"He's so scary," she whispered, coming to stand by my side and faking a shudder.

"He's right, though. Why didn't you make yourself something to eat?"

My best friend glanced around the kitchen, before her eyes landed back on me.

"You know my struggle with unfamiliar places," she said, but a playful grin quickly covered her face. "Anyway, tell me, what have you two been up to?"

As if on cue, Alexander placed a quick peck on my temple before excusing himself, "I will make you something to drink."

My eyes glanced between the pair, until they settled on my best friend. I snarled at her lowly, for making me feel embarrassed.

"I thought you were starving," I reminded her, narrowing my eyes at her.

She shrugged, before wiggling her brows teasingly. "There is always room for gossip."

"Oh, yeah? Let's make breakfast before I tell my mate to put you back in prison."

"Jheez, sorry. No need to get nasty," she responded in a panic.

Her reaction made me laugh out loud. I had missed her a lot, and being with her now made me feel incredibly grateful.

We spent the afternoon eating a late breakfast together. Ava ate like a starved woman, making me feel slightly guilty. Perhaps if Alexander and I hadn't spent too much time in the bedroom, she wouldn't have been so hungry.

Nevertheless, if I could repeat my morning with my mate, I would in a heartbeat. The thought alone made my Wolf purr in contentment.

Shortly after eating, Alexander stated that he was holding a meeting.

"You should join us," he told me.

"Yeah, right," I responded, sarcastically.

"I am being serious. You are my Luna."

Biting my lip, I glanced up at him. Hearing that from him made me want to fall at his feet, especially now that we were connected as one.

I was quickly falling for him, and I didn't even mind. He was the mate that I always yearned for. It still felt unreal how quickly things had switched up between us.

"I want to go see Jaxon and Matteo instead," I admitted, my eyes meeting his.

His eyes narrowed. "Not right now, baby. Gabriel is on the loose somewhere, I do not want you out of my sight."

"Ava will come with me. Won't you?" I turned my gaze on my best friend.

She glanced between my mate and I in confusion, before nodding hesitantly.