Chapter 22-Broken Chain

The night before we left for the capital, I was called to Emmanuel's office. I already knew what it was for, so I dragged my feet as I walked the dark hallways of the Rosalinda manor one last time. My hand touched the broken bracelet on my wrist, my finger settling on the crack of the fractured stone. The roughness of it brought me back some tranquillity.

To avoid sinking into a nervous wreck, I considered other thoughts more interesting, or at least less complicated. My mind went to Fanny and her curious love triangle. I had obviously probed her for more information, but like with Wolff, she kept her wall up and said nothing. Though her cheeks were ablaze whenever Lord's Fridh's name was pronounced.

If I had to be honest, Wolff was a better choice. He was so damn cute! But the heart never goes for the best and certainly not what others think is the best, so I gave up putting logic on it. I laughed alone, thinking of how much fun would be to watch them crush on each other. They are way too cute and sweet (and I bet Lord Fridh could be too, underneath all that royal duty). It would be nice to see them grow.

I finally arrived at Emmanuel's office door. Junette had already closed it behind her and greeted me with a wide smile.

"My Lady Lucreatia, have you come to see Lord Emmanuel?" She asked. When I nodded, she turned slightly her head to the door, a small sigh escaped her lips before she returned her attention to me again. "Lord Emmanuel seems to be in one of his pensive moods, but I suppose he is waiting for you, my lady. Please go, I will wait for you outside and then take you to your room after." She moved away to give me space to open the door.

As my hand pushed the metal handle, Junette gave a deep bow, which she kept until I closed the door behind me and I was in Emmanuel's office. The fireflies danced in the room and looked like strange and restless stars. They illuminated my steps, which were louder than the last time I was there. Mostly because there were no longer papers scattered around the wooden floor. The squeaking sounds I created did nothing to make Emmanuel turn to me. Instead, he continued in the same position as when I entered the room, looking at the new moon from his big window. His body leaned in his desk, while his hands grasped it for support. Gone was his brown old cape, leaving only his white and well-cut shirt and his black pants. All of excellent quality.

His hair moved as if there was a breeze inside the room, and his body looked as if it glinted under the stars. Besides him, on the table, was a bottle of brandy and a bracelet, just like mine. Unbroken and shiny. Though its light seemed off compared to his. And seeing him like this brought me back the memories of lady Sargosa and to a question I had.

"Who are you, Emmanuel?" I blurted, stopping by the desk.

"What a silly question, lady Lucreatia. I told you, already, I am a tutor for the path of the goddess." he replied, still looking over the moon.

Neither he nor I said anything for a while. The silence didn't bring me any answers, but brought me clues.

He left his position and turned his face to me, smiling. I watched his sad eyes attempt to look happy and carefree while he said. "I have a present for you." he picked up the bracelet and approached me. "To substitute the broken one you like so much."

He bent his knees and extend his open palm, where the bracelet settled, waiting for me to pick it up. I darted my eyes from it and carved them into his lilac ones. I breathed, quiet and unsettled.

"Why?" I asked, receiving a shocked face in response. His smile was gone and his efforts for an attempted levity out of his eyes. But urged by all the unanswered questions, I pressed on. "Why? Why do I have to wear the same bracelet as my grandmother? As her own grandmother? As for all the other ladies of the Benedicto family? As my mother?"