Chapter 22

"Imma get your heart racing."

"A spiral is a symbol for revenge," Jade replied.

Scott had just finished telling the twins how the previous night he had gotten attacked by the Alpha and a spiral was marked in the condensation of his car window. He conveniently left out the part where he went to Derek for help, but he did mention about being warned to stay away from Allison.

"How do you know so much about werewolves?" her cousin questioned, a brow raised.

"My spell book, our mom and dad, the internet," she listed off, turning off her indicator as she pulled into the school parking lot.

"Why would the Alpha want revenge on Scott though?" Max asked, trying to slightly change the topic of conversation away from their parents.

"Your guess is as good as mine. Also how are you meant to stay away from Allison all day?"

"I don't know," Scott answered, sighing. He had just started to get over the fact that Allison's dad was a hunter, and now he had to blank her all day! They had only gotten on good terms again and now he felt like the biggest douchebag for having to do this.

"That's not gonna work out well. I'm gonna assume that'll hurt her feelings," she warned, wiggling her eyebrows. Sure, she wasn't the best with working out how your actions could make someone else feel, but that didn't mean that she was totally clueless.

"That would be a correct observation. Five points to you! You're learning!" Max exclaimed, clapping his hands together.

                                   ~

"No, he's still not talking to you," Jade sighed, not even bothering to look up from her textbook. Her and Max now apparently had the task to carry messages between Scott and Stiles until they decided to stop bickering

Scott closed his mouth in defeat, letting his chin rest in his hand. "Can you at least tell me if your dad's okay? I mean it's just a bruise right? Some soft tissue damage? Nothing that bad, right?"

Still no response. "You know I feel really bad about it, right?" Scott tried again. He wasn't lying. The guilt was really starting to get to him. "What if I told you that I was desperate for help and I went to Derek."

This seemed to get through to the buzzcut boy when he sat up straighter in his seat. "If I was talking to you, I'd say you're an idiot for trusting him! But obviously I'm not talking to you," he rolled his eyes, ignoring the fact that he was basically contradicting himself.

The bell split through the air, giving a five minute warning. That meant that their conversation- if you could even call it that- was cut short and would just have to wait until later.

"Three," Max whispered, turning around to face his sister. He continued counting down under his breath while she looked at him as if he was crazy. "Two. One."

At the end of the countdown, Stiles turned around in his seat to face Scott. "What did he say?"

                                              ~

"He wants you to tap into your animal side and get angry?" Stiles questioned, swinging open the classroom door. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but every time you do that, you try to kill someone. And that someone is usually your cousins, or me."

"I know! That's what he means by he doesn't know if he can teach me," Scott replied, shrugging his shoulders. "I have to be able to control it."

"How's he gonna teach you to do that?" Max wondered out loud. Why was Derek all of a sudden so willing to help the beta? What was in it for him? Because there was no way that this was something he was doing out of the goodness of his heart.