Chapter Twenty-Eight

After dinner we went for a walk. Again, I was surprised at the absolute normalcy of this action. I knew Alessio had a life outside of the underground world he had created. He would disappear for days or weeks, clearly the world was one for business and comfort only. So what would he be doing when he wasn’t in business mode or in the mood to spend time with the men he worked with? He apparently lived like the rest of us.

                We were walking around a large man made pond in the middle of a park. The whole scene, walking around the pond feeding ducks with the leader of the Mafia and his body guard cousin, it was just too much for me to handle. But yet here we were.

                Pietro and Stacey walked several feet ahead of us, taking turns ripping apart bread and throwing them to the ducks. Pietro purposely bumped Stacey and she threw a handful of crumbs at him. He looked appalled and a chase broke out.

                “Why are you here?” I asked Alessio the question I had been screaming in my mind all day. I watched Pietro catch Stacey easily, he wrapped one arm around her waist and picked her up, carrying her sideways to the pond with her giggling hysterically the entire time.

                “She’s quite taken to him, isn’t she?” Alessio said ignoring my question completely.

                Pietro pretended he was going to throw a laughing and screaming Stacey into the freezing November pond and then pulled her away, only to repeat the action several times.

                “I suppose she is.” I muttered and watched them. We watched the two in silence as we strolled casually.

                Pietro finally set Stacey upright. She shoved him playfully and then they shook hands in a truce. Pietro bent over to pick the bag of bread up off the ground and Stacey jumped on his back they both tumbled onto the ground.

                “Is he going to stick around?” I asked and finally turned away from the two to grant them privacy.

                Alessio was throwing bread from our own bag casually as we walked. He didn’t answer and I knew that the answer was probably one that wouldn’t suite me.

                “So what? You’re going to leave again?” No answer. “Soon? Or are you going to stick around until she falls completely head over heels for him and then leave and break her heart?” I motioned towards Stacey and Pietro.

                He stopped walking and a second later I did as well. I turned to face him. He looked intrigued as he watched me. “Who are you worried about Katherine. Really?”

                Both of us. “Stacey.” I said without missing a beat.

                He started walking again and I followed his lead.

                “I know who you are, what you do. Stacey doesn’t. She’s just going to get hurt.” I said after a few long strides in silence.

                Why did he come back if he was just going to leave again? Why not just stay gone.

                “Does Pietro even like her?” I asked my frustration peaking as he continued to ignore me.

                “I can’t speak for Pietro.” He finally said.

                “But you’ve got to know!”

                He turned to look at Stacey and Pietro. They were half buried in a pile of dry and dying brown leaves. He was on top of her, her hands were pinned above her head as they had obviously wrestled around for awhile and they were kissing. “What does it look like to you?”

                “It could be an act though.”

                “And what reason would we have for doing that?”

                “What reason did you have for shooting her tires?” I shot back and he chuckled. Another question I obviously wasn’t going to get an answer to.

                I looked back to the couple and then back to Alessio. “I don’t want her to get hurt. She’s my best friend.”

                “How is Mia?”

                “I’m sure you already know the answer to that.” I shot back.

                He shrugged.

                Mia was good. Fantastic actually. She had decided against extending her contract and had been back in the real world for a year now. She had decided to go to California and was actually doing a bit of modeling. Working underground had apparently been a huge ego booster for her and while she wasn’t living the dream or making millions she was proud of her life and was supporting herself. She had also written me about Alessio visiting her not too many months ago to congratulate her success. He’d taken her to a big fancy dinner and she’d gotten so drunk she puked in his car on the way home. Alessio knew how she was and I wasn’t in the mood to play his games.

                “Katherine.” He said and I stopped walking. I turned to face him with a glare. “Come back with me tonight.”

                “What?”

                “To my place. Come back with me.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey lovies. I'm sorry I didn't update as scheduled yesterday I was sick as a dog! So, here is your update. It's a little short, but I think kind of cute anyway. (:

I'm planning on having another update up either Thursday or Friday and to be honest the next chapter is one of my favoritesss.

Vote & Comment