00.04

Stepping out of Bruce's black sports car, Lennox felt eyes on her back. Though no one knew of her ties to Bruce Wayne, there were plenty of speculations about who Nela Hawthorne was.

     An illegitimate child of Thomas Wayne; a woman Bruce got pregnant who was harboring a child; but mostly people assumed she was his lover. Lennox was not concerned what peopled presumed, as long as they didn't find out her ties to Bludhaven's wealthiest family or to the Batman or the Ghost.

      Bruce had opened Lennox's door and offered her his arm. The woman took it gratefully, knowing the stairs would be tricky in heels. "Something doesn't feel right, Bruce." Lennox muttered as they entered the building. It was true, something felt off at the memorial, and Lennox was on high alert.

      "Bruce Wayne!" The pair turned to see Bella Reál walking toward them. "Mister Wayne," she started, "I wouldn't be bothering you here, but your people keep telling me you're busy," She scoffed. "You know, you really could be doing more for this city. Your family has a history of philanthropy, but as far as I can tell, you're not doing anything," Bella huffed. Bruce only scoffed in disbelief and pulled Lennox away with him.

     She noticed Mitchell's son sitting in a chair beside his mother. Lennox's heart ached for the grief and confusion she knew he must be feeling. Losing a parent is one of the hardest things to cope with, especially so young. When the boy turned around, Lennox offered a small smile, which he returned.

     Bruce tapped thrice on Lennox's arm, notifying her of danger. She followed Bruce's gaze to the balcony where a man stood, looking down on the memorial. She knew something wasn't right when she heard a revving car engine growing closer and closer. Then, with an earshattering screech, a black SUV crashed into City Hall. Lennox rushed toward the Mitchell boy, but Bruce got there faster, tackling him out of the way. Women screamed, children cried, police surrounded the vehicle, and when she looked, Lennox no longer saw the man in the balcony.

     Bruce was at Lennox's side in an instant. He kept a tight grip around her waist while the police yelled for the driver to exit the vehicle. When the door opened, Lennox's body stiffened. Gil Colson stepped out of the vehicle, bomb strapped around his neck.

     The sharp intake of breath from Bruce made Lennox realise just how real things had gotten with the Riddler. When it was one murder, Batman had it under control, when it was two, Batman's hold was slipping, and now it was nearly gone. The situation had escalated far more rapidly than she or her counterpart expected.

     Colson lifted his arms above his head and sank to his knees. His mouth was taped off and a cell phone was strapped to his hand. It began ringing and panic ensued. Lennox tugged on Bruce's arm, trying to use the chaos as an escape route. The taller man followed behind her as they played the part of terrified witnesses.

     As Lennox slid in the passenger seat, she let out a breath. She'd never expected a car to come crashing through the building with a bomb strapped man, but here they were. Bruce pulled out of the lot and took off into the city.

     "Bruce," Lennox started. "What do we do?" She'd wracked her brain for any solutions, but all of them were far too dangerous for civilians.

     "We, do nothing, Lennox," Bruce said, glancing at the woman. "I'm not letting you get anywhere near Colson or the bomb. The last thing I need is for my partner to be blown to pieces by some psychotic killer."

     Lennox scoffed, "This is Gotham for fuck's sake, Bruce. You think I won't meet my untimely end at the hands of a criminal?" She'd often let her mind linger on the thought of her death, but now it seemed as if it could really happen. "I'd rather I died fighting than die afraid," she mumbled.

     "You won't die at all, because you're not going, Len. You'll stay here and be my intel. That's that." Bruce pulled into the parking garage beneath Wayne Tower and drove to the very top. From there, he parked and helped Lennox inside.

     Alfred met them as soon as they stepped out of the elevator. "I presume the two of you will want these," the elder gentleman said, gesturing to their suits.

     "Lennox isn't going," Bruce said, before grabbing his suit and hurrying to the Cave. Lennox huffed and sat at the circular table where Alfred had obviously been enjoying tea.

      "Not going, Miss Berkshire?" Alfred asked, sitting across from her. Lennox rolled her eyes and Alfred hummed in understanding. "You are his partner, are you not? You are equals, he cannot tell you what to do." Alfred smiled.

     "What if he's right, Alfred?" the woman lamented. "Maybe this is all too dangerous for me. I've never been this involved in anything with him, but now that I have information he wants, I'm valuable."

     "Perhaps, Miss Berkshire, that isn't the only reason he finds you valuable," Alfred winked. 

     Lennox stood from where she was and grinned at Alfred. "That son a bitch is gonna hate me when I show up." Alfred chuckled at this. Lennox ran towards the Cave, grabbing her suit on the way. She stripped in the elevator, tugging on the cotton bodysuit and fastening her cloak at her collarbone. She cautiously peered around the Cave, making sure Batman was gone. 

     When she was sure he was gone, Lennox stepped out and gathered her equipment. A knife on her thigh, a grappling hook at her hip and an earpiece. Grabbing the keys to her bike, Ghost laughed.

     Gotham never looked as pretty as it did at night. When you couldn't see the trash littering the streets or the junkies and dropheads cackling in alleys. The skyline was beautiful, white lights shone like stars far above, and the rush of passing cars was calming to Ghost.

     Parking her bike a few blocks away, Ghost took to the rooftops, jumping over alleys and cars. She carefully descended a building before sneaking in a window of City Hall. Ghost held her breath, not knowing where Batman would be, but she had the element of silence on her side. Unlike her partner's footsteps, which were loud and deliberate, Ghost's were almost completely silent, as if she were hovering above the ground.

     Ghost took a few tentative steps down a dark hallway before a pair of arms pulled her through a doorway. He held her tightly, gloved hand over her mouth. "I thought I told you to stay home." Batman emphasized the last two words.

     Ghost pried his hand off her mouth and turned to face him, "Since when are you in charge of me, Vengeance? Besides, we have bigger things to worry about." The woman knew he didn't like her saying that, so when he lunged for her, she was ready. Stepping out of the way, Ghost swept his leg, nearly knocking him to the ground. She stood and caught a knee to the stomach, grunting in pain. Elbowing Batman in the face, she caught him off and pushed him onto a table. She leaned down to his ear and whispered, "I don't follow your rules, Vengeance."

03/09/22