➪THIRTY NINE

The soft buzz of a vibrating phone wakes me

The soft buzz of a vibrating phone wakes me. It sounds louder than it actually is, given that it's on top of a wooden nightstand. I groan softly as I reach over, feeling the very soft aching between my legs. Thomas. I wasn't aware that he'd have my number, I didn't even know he needed it.

I look at the time. 11:00pm. It's pretty late for him to call. I look to my side and at the empty space of the bed. Once again Nicco isn't here. And it's far too late in the night for him to be working, he finished work hours ago. I didn't even feel him slip out of bed. My hand grasps at my phone and I press answer, immediately pulling the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I answer.

I can hear the smile almost immediately in Thomas's voice. "Hello, Miss Cousy. I will be at the apartment in exactly fifteen minutes. Mr. Rianchi asked that you dress a bit formal tonight. He'll see you soon" he says.

My eyebrows squint as I listen to his words. Dress formal? He'll see me soon?

"Miss Cousy?" He calls my name after a moment of defeating silence.

I stammer. "Uhh, yeah. Sure. I'll be ready soon" I say before I press end call. I pull the sheet from my body and stand up, soon turning the lamp on. God, how will I get ready so soon?

I rush into the bathroom, grabbing at a toothbrush and a bottle of toothpaste. Fifteen minutes? Is that all? At least my hair is the least of my worries. I wash away my sleepy breath and hurry out into the closet. Mmmh. It smells like Nicco. He smells like a warm hug on a cold day.

I nearly search the closet up and down, looking for the suitcase Nicco had packed for me. It isn't here. Where the hell could it be? I start to panic. Without clothes how will I get ready?

I search the place again, soon planting my eyes against a black dress and a pair of heels. Beside it is a black necklace and a note from Nicco.

You'll look beautiful. See you soon.

Ugh. He's had this planned? Where is he?

I snatch the dress from the hanger, slipping off my shirt and shorts I've worn to bed for tonight. The dress slips onto my body and I reach for the heels, trying my hardest to multitask. So much runs through my mind. Should I apply makeup? Something light? Ugh. Forget it.

By the time I am finished with all my thinking and making sure I looked presentable, Thomas calls me again. I hurry over to my phone and answer for him. It barely even rang once.

"Hi, I'm coming down the elevator now" I say before he even gets a chance to say anything.

He hums. "Will do. See you soon, Miss".

I hang the phone up as I grab my clutch, holding it tightly as I walk through Nicco's penthouse. My heels clack against the floor as my feet bring myself closer to the elevator. It comes open and I stand there a bit puzzled. I have yet to press a button.